Copy Workspace to Another Computer

Bruce Kieffer

Question

This functionality seems so basic to me, but it does not work. Why isn't a workspace just a file of settings? If it were, then there should be no reason why it couldn't be exported or copied to another Vectorworks installation on another computer, but that doesn't work. Instead, I have to recreate my workspace on both of my computers. More time wasted.

Edited by Bruce Kieffer

9 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Bruce Kieffer said:

This functionality seems so basic to me, but it does not work. Why isn't a workspace just a file of settings? If it were, then there should be no reason why it couldn't be exported or copied to another Vectorworks installation on another computer, but that doesn't work. Instead, I have to recreate my workspace on both of my computers. More time wasted.

Hi Bruce,

How did you try copying it? In my experience this should be possible though I haven't tried directly with VW2017. I regularly back up my workspace file and have shared it with an entire class of students in the past without any issues. Were you trying to copy between versions of VW? Or maybe you used the Migration Assistant and it inadvertently creates a file that only works on one system.

Kevin

Workspaces are saved as  .vww files.

The "defaults" factory workspaces are saved in the application folder:workspaces.

When you make a custom workspace it is saved in the user folder in the Workspaces folder.

On the Mac, the default location for this is:

User Name:Library:Application Support:Vectorworks:2017:Workspaces

User Name is replaced with your login name. 2017 is the version you are working on.

By default, the Library folder is hidden by the Mac OS. Easiest way to get there is through the Finder. Click on the GO menu and hold down the Option key and Library will appear. You can then navigate normally the rest of the way.

There is a dialog box that pops up the first time you save a custom workspace. You probably clicked the Don't Show This Again button so you don't see that.

Screen Shot 2016-09-24 at 8.06.00 AM.png

• Like 2

I copied and transferred my workspace from my iMac to my MacBook Pro. All transferred except palette locations and settings, like show tools as icons and text. Obviously those settings aren't part of the workspace, but I wish they were. All said, it was better to have to rearrange and adjust a few things rather than start from scratch. I still feel there should be an export and import workspace function. Even better would be the option to have workspaces in the cloud. Maybe that can be done already. Has anyone tried?

Edited by Bruce Kieffer