Safari 10 - does not display Vectorworks Help properly

PVA - Admin

Question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The most recent update of Safari (10) is incapable of properly displaying the Vectorworks Online Help system. This issue has been reported to Apple directly. For the time being, the Help system functions properly within other browsers, such as Chrome and Firefox, as well as Safari 9. We recommend one of those browsers instead.  

24 answers to this question

I use Safari frequently as part of my work flow, sourcing materials, details, spec's, etc. and have bookmarked a large array of resources over the years. So without changing my preferred browser to say Google Chrome, is there a setting by which I can point VW Help to a non-Safari browser?

Unfortunately no, Macs only let you set one default app for web links. You can just bookmark the help in another browser however and access it directly through that until Apple addresses the browser issues, this one is on their end and we have filed a bug with them.

Quick follow-up... As an interim measure I reset Chrome's default opening page to Vectorworks Help and then put an alias of Chrome on my desktop (renamed VW Help of course!). Not holding my breath on a timely Safari update on this issue from Apple.:(

Now back to work.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JimW said:

No, I wouldn't expect Apple to fix it soon. They do not respond rapidly other than in high profile cases.

@JimWI have to call you out on this since you've now made this comment in two threads. I'm not sure how this is different than how NV and most other software companies respond to bugs. Case in point, the VW2017 layer switch bug which has already been fixed. I would have never been affected by this bug because I don't change the layers of my object in the OIP. However it was seen as high profile so it was fixed quickly. The bug I would like to see fixed is the symbol scaling bug. It is my Safari Help bug.... I've encountered it on almost every project I've done over the last few years. I'm sure there's some behind the scenes reason why it hasn't been solved yet.... maybe its not high profile enough, maybe its dependent on something else, maybe its WAD.... but it is something that has cost me a lot of time and effort.

NV needs to find the JimW of Apple and talk to him. From my own experience, I can say that having someone who at listens to the problem is a good first step.....

Kevin

4 minutes ago, Kevin McAllister said:

@JimWI have to call you out on this since you've now made this comment in two threads. I'm not sure how this is different than how NV and most other software companies respond to bugs. Case in point, the VW2017 layer switch bug which has already been fixed.

There are more restrictions on what I can say here about Vectorworks than on what I can say regarding other companies.

(That's my political response voice. ;) )

Safari 10 does work with VW help !

- Load Help Page

- Open Safari Preferences > Security : 

- activate internet plugins

- open plugin settings : Java

- go back to Help Page > "Reload with Plugins"

(Will make it work for one session only)

- go back to Safari Preferences

- "app-help.vectorworks.net" appears  under current websites

- set drop down to "On"

(Will make it work after Safari restarts again automatically)

Edited by zoomer

It worked for me.. finally.

In my case I had to update my Java plug-in, which I dutifully did. After following Zoomer's sequence (thanks!) VW Help appeared  in Safari but without the table of contents. The other VW Help features were present and usable. I went back to Safari's plug-in settings and wouldn't you know that the Java update had re-actvated Adobe Flash Player... normally OFF. I turned it off, reloaded VWHelp "with plug-ins",  and now the Table of Contents appears. 

I had already updated iTunes earlier.

Regarding Jim's comment about it being intermittent, I will see how it goes from here.

Bob

Update... I'm now fully on board with Jim's intermittent. For me it turns out to have been a one-time fix. After closing VW help and reopening, the Table of Contents is again not to be found. Fiddle with the plug-in settings and it returns. Close and reopen and it's gone again. I could repeat this all day.

Back to Chrome for me.

Bob

OK, I now have moved from Jim's "intermittent" category into Bruce and Zoomer's "it works for me" category. The only change since my last post is that I shut down my computer over the weekend (I do work home, well sort of...). Come Monday morning all is well and VW help works as designed on Safari 10.0.1. 

Bob