MikeB

Renderworks Issue - Geometry Not Updating / Viewport Turns Black

Question

VW2017

I'm having an issue with the Final Quality Renderworks mode

I'm working on a model and render the model on screen in Final Quality Renderworks, then I switch back to open GL and edit an extrusion.

The changes to the extrusion show up in open GL, but when I switch to Final Quality Renderworks, the rendering show up almost immediately , but the changes to the extrude are not shown.  It appears to be showing a cashed version of the rendering and not actually re-rendering.

If I select Final Quality Renderworks again, it asks if I want to re-render the scene, I say yes, but it still shows the old geometry.

The only way I've found around this is to quit and restart VW

I tried setting the Retain Rending Model in the VW preferences to Never, that didn't help

Thanks

40 answers to this question

Anyone who was experiencing this issue, please retest after installing 2018 SP3 and let me know if the issue was resolved or if you are still experiencing it.

Nope. Still happens after updating to SP3.

I changed a custom style setting after which renders in viewports render in black with a couple of geometric shapes in blue.

@JimW 

2 hours ago, JimW said:

Anyone who was experiencing this issue, please retest after installing 2018 SP3 and let me know if the issue was resolved or if you are still experiencing it.

I'm using 2018 SP3.   I just rendered this viewport as Artistic Renderworks,   it worked fine.   I changed the scale of the viewport from 1/4 to 1/2 and now the viewport will return blank after "rendering".   The below video shows the update failure with "Artistic Renderworks",  but I also tried with FQR and it did the same thing.     Hidden Line worked,  and so did Open GL.   Restarting VW's fixes it.

Render Update Fail.mp4

Not the geometry issue at the moment,  I'll keep testing,  but another flavor of rendering update weirdness.

Just now, Wesley Burrows said:

Not the geometry issue at the moment,  I'll keep testing,  but another flavor of rendering update weirdness.

Thank you, this is what Im attempting to clarify. We think half the issues are fixed but mostly the ones related to geometry just being static not the black or white VP/DL bugs.

Posted (edited)
On 3/23/2018 at 11:20 AM, JimW said:

We think half the issues are fixed but mostly the ones related to geometry just being static not the black or white VP/DL bugs.

Just curious if there's any progress on the issue where a viewport renders completely black? It seems as though numerous people have been experiencing this for a few years(?) now. It still happens to me a few times a day and completely interrupts the momentum of getting things done.

I know it was once considered an unreplicable bug and therefore difficult to track, but hopefully there's been some progress on it given that it's fairly widespread?

Edited by Andy Broomell
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/23/2018 at 11:11 AM, JimW said:

Update,  geometry updates still fail to render correctly in SP3.    IE:  Changes are reflected in Open GL,  but aren't in FQR.

Open GL: (Correct)

image.thumb.png.e8722c82a3c3a942e9d1b36f859f8a8b.png

FQR (Nope):

image.thumb.png.d6db193fd31bd4d5ec0cd2140a5da08c.png

Closing the file and re-opening the file as it was above and hitting cmd + shift + F  yields a completely black screen.

image.thumb.png.13aaf035adb31601d9991706c2e9654f.png

And of course,  re-launching and re-rendering causes it to work as expected.  (Until it doesn’t)

image.thumb.png.888dc6c1ba5cc6581333c99fdd8b6848.png

Edited by Wesley Burrows

Here's a fun one that just rendered:

5acd3ebe4d651_ScreenShot2018-04-10at3_42_17PM.thumb.png.e47e2b396e1564d0ef9606fb3c81c1d4.png

Everything disappeared / turned to black, EXCEPT for SOME of the Image Props in the scene (not all), which lost their texture mapping, but are still responding to lights... Weird.

Time to restart again.

On 2/23/2018 at 7:24 PM, zoomer said:

Send to C4D imports empty file.

This has been interrupting my workflow for almost a year now.

On 4/9/2018 at 2:16 PM, Andy Broomell said:

Just curious if there's any progress on the issue where a viewport renders completely black? It seems as though numerous people have been experiencing this for a few years(?) now. It still happens to me a few times a day and completely interrupts the momentum of getting things done.

Anecdotally it seems to have been less for me since sp3, however my rendering work since then hasn't been as intensive as it is when I'm prepping for the a release or the Design Summit, so this could just be a bias on my part. It is ABSOLUTELY still happening though, most commonly at least for me when I am rapidly updating/interrupting renders, overriding content of viewports by class or overriding lights.

37 minutes ago, JimW said:

Anecdotally it seems to have been less for me since sp3, however my rendering work since then hasn't been as intensive as it is when I'm prepping for the a release or the Design Summit, so this could just be a bias on my part. It is ABSOLUTELY still happening though, most commonly at least for me when I am rapidly updating/interrupting renders, overriding content of viewports by class or overriding lights.

Ditto. Particularly when I’m rapidly updating. I’ve found quitting out is the only solution. V frustrating and time wasteful on big files. 

We have 5 VW users in a room, we all suffer from the all black or all white screens even post SP3. We all find that quitting and restarting is the only way to get it to come back. Very Very Frustrating!

• Like 1

Same problem here. It used to reset if I switched the detail to low, then back to high, but tonight it just stayed black. VW2018 SP3

On 4/16/2018 at 5:37 AM, JimW said:

most commonly at least for me when I am rapidly updating/interrupting renders

Same here, a.k.a. I'm probably in a hurry to meet a deadline, which means coming to a complete stop and restarting Vectorworks is the last thing I want to do.

Honestly I think I've found what causes it: Vectorworks can sense whenever it's the worst time for it to occur, and THAT's when it happens :D

• Laugh 1