New Polygon Type

Thomas Wagensommerer

Question

16 answers to this question

I think a new polygon or object type would be the right choice. A constraint suitable for multiple objects sounds difficult to achieve and for the moment I can't think of any object that would actually need that. This is what I meant: If you use a charting program, and you draw a diagonal line, it will actually result in a L or Z shape connecting the two points. If you modify this shape, handles are at the end points and in the middle of the sides.

Are you perhaps referring to a so-called connector line, e.g. as they have in Visio and other diagramming software. Once connected to a shape the line adjusts when one or both of the connected shapes are moved/resized etc. but the line segments are always horizontal or vertical?

That would be nice to have, though my experience with Visio is that those lines tend to get a mind of their own at times and go all over the place. :-)

It would probably require either creating symbols with a point object to connect to or an automatic magnetic snap at certain object points such as mid of a segment, corners, quadrants etc.

Edited by Art V

In that case I'd like to have them as well, as I do have a use for connector lines in VW. It would even be nicer if those connector lines could also have line jumps (the half circle that shows up when two lines cross each other) as an option. I do make (process) flow diagrams once in a while and Vectorworks in only missing a thing or two maybe three to make it very usable for that. Connector lines would be the biggest one of them. If that would get implemented it could solve 90% of my diagramming needs.

I could use them for other things as well such as polylines representing fences, rail tracks etc. that start and end at a specific object and always need to stay connected.

The recent update of the resource browser partially fixed one of the other issues.

Over the years I've seen many requests for the addition of constrained and unconstrained modes to the Wall, Polygon and Double Polygon tools.

Yes you can do this by holding down the shift key but it is amazing how many people don't use that method.   Those that like to work quickly invariably rely just on the angle snaps, which they often forget to set properly, and invariably they end up with Walls and Linework which is just off orthogonal.  These files are infuriating to work with afterwards.

6 hours ago, mike m oz said:

Over the years I've seen many requests for the addition of constrained and unconstrained modes to the Wall, Polygon and Double Polygon tools.

Yes you can do this by holding down the shift key but it is amazing how many people don't use that method.   Those that like to work quickly invariably rely just on the angle snaps, which they often forget to set properly, and invariably they end up with Walls and Linework which is just off orthogonal.  These files are infuriating to work with afterwards.

Yes I agree with your "complaint" about not using the shift key, it can be used for this and I use it when I need to have them 100% horizontal or vertical or 30/45/60 degree angled constraints regardless of snap angle settings.

However, the polygon lines we're talking about now are to be similar to the connector lines in e.g. Visio where moving an attached object at the end of such a polyline will automatically extend the line segment and for certain purposes these line segments need to be either horizontal or vertical. For that we would need this kind of new polyline.

The tool should only draw connection lines. All other parts of the drawing are symbols, that should be connected. Recently I did a wiring plan (attached) and I noticed how cumbersome our polygons are compared to the connection lines you have in other CAD packages. This type of work is not part of my regular job, so all in all this not a very important feature for me. Maybe others do this on a regular basis, so I suggested the feature.Bildschirmfoto 2016-09-26 um 16.25.46.png

Edited by Thomas Wagensommerer
25 minutes ago, Thomas Wagensommerer said:

The tool should only draw connection lines. All other parts of the drawing are symbols, that should be connected. Recently I did a wiring plan (attached) and I noticed how cumbersome our polygons are compared to the connection lines you have in other CAD packages. This type of work is not part of my regular job, so all in all this not a very important feature for me. Maybe others do this on a regular basis, so I suggested the feature.Bildschirmfoto 2016-09-26 um 16.25.46.png

Oh yes, have been doing similar drawing too, this is where a (magnetic) connector polyline would be nice so that when something gets moved the line stays connected instead of having to mess with the reshape tool.

42 minutes ago, Kevin McAllister said:

@Thomas Wagensommereris the intention for this tool to draw the squares/diamonds in a addition to drawing to the connector lines? Or are the squares/diamonds symbols that the tool connects by connector lines?

Kevin

No, as Thomas mentioned, it is just the line, but it should be able to stay connected to e.g. a locus point in a symbol so that when the symbol get moved the  line stays connected. Or should have an option to magnetically connect to e.g. end- and mid-points of a segment, quadrants of a circle etc. similar to how object snaps can be set.

I can see the use for this type of tool.

There is a way to do a simple version of this now. Here's a video of how. Bear with me, this is my first ever video on these forums. The technique uses constraints, specifically Constrain Coincident. If you want to remove the constraints later, select the objects that are connected, choose Modify>Edit Constraints, and click Delete All.

Kevin

Constraints_Small.mov

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Kevin McAllister said:

There is a way to do a simple version of this now. Here's a video of how. Bear with me, this is my first ever video on these forums. The technique uses constraints, specifically Constrain Coincident. If you want to remove the constraints later, select the objects that are connected, choose Modify>Edit Constraints, and click Delete All.

Kevin

Constraints_Small.mov

Hi not sure if this is what you are after??

Nice work Kevin, A video is the best way of explaining and it was very clear. Thanks do more. Not sure what program you used but I use Powerpoint, you select insert media and you can do a screen record.
Thanks and the answer was clear.
Also nice solution for the node and circle to lock it together as I just tried a circle with interesting results.

Edited by Alan Woodwell
6 hours ago, Kevin McAllister said:

Using constraints gets you close, except that as in your video you have to move the nodes or segments of the polyline to also move the object, whereas it should also be able to have the movement of the object to control the repositioning/extending of the polyline segments in both the horizontal and vertical directions.

For example, if you have multiple objects of different height that are aligned at the bottom and you want to the bottom end of one of them to halfway the height of another object next to it, using the node of the attached polyline is not really a convenient way to do this. Grabbing the bottom of the object and use the tracking to align that bottom with the mid of the other object would be easier, the polyline should then automatically adjust the length of the connected segment.