Screen Redraw Issue

Andy Broomell

Question

I'm having an issue with a file where anytime I do anything, such as draw something or move it, nothing shows up or changes until I zoom in or out a little bit. It's quite frustrating. I've tried restarting my computer. Could it be a corrupt file? I've also tried copying and pasting everything into a new file and it started doing it in that file also. Corrupt object?

The file was started in 2016. Yesterday I started working on it in 2017. After a while the issue started appearing, so I thought it was maybe a 2017 thing, so I back saved to 2016 and continued working there, but the issue keeps coming back.

Any thoughts?

• Like 1

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

DWGs being imported could absolutely contribute to it, but generally the more vertices you have (Not necessarily related to how large the document is in file size) the worse the problem gets. DWG import normally brings MANY more vertices in than native geometry so that would not surprise me at all.

The problem is not only that it's slow, but that it doesn't start redrawing until I zoom.; It's quite annoying: I change a hatch, it doesn't show, change it again, nothing, "Ohh &^%#, it's that redraw thing again"

I agree that importing DWG's can slow things down, but I don't think that is the only problem. I haven't had this problem in VW 2016 using a lot of DWG-imports. And I went to see if it happens in VW 2016 now that I installed  my 8Gb 1070 GTX videocard. It doesn't seem to have a redraw problem there (although it might have, I just tried it with a limited amount of actions).

3 hours ago, STERNontwerp said:

The problem is not only that it's slow, but that it doesn't start redrawing until I zoom.; It's quite annoying: I change a hatch, it doesn't show, change it again, nothing, "Ohh &^%#, it's that redraw thing again"

Yeah - the redraw is actually fast - but it just does not start until there is a screen shift.  

On 22/09/2016 at 8:00 PM, Andy Broomell said:

I also recently started using a 3DConnexion Wireless SpaceMouse. Might have something to do with that...

Have you definately cablibrated the device?

if there's even the slightest slew or pan coming from the device (and it can be so small you wouldn't know) it could be forcing redraws 50+times a second... So keep the device level and hit the calibrate option.

1 hour ago, RussU said:

Have you definately cablibrated the device?

if there's even the slightest slew or pan coming from the device (and it can be so small you wouldn't know) it could be forcing redraws 50+times a second... So keep the device level and hit the calibrate option.

I am experiencing the same issue with no 3D connection mouse.  

On 2/6/2017 at 9:42 AM, Tom Klaber said:

Yeah - the redraw is actually fast - but it just does not start until there is a screen shift.  

I've been sifting through the responses to see if this has ever been resolved....anything?  I've been having this screen redraw issue ever since upgrading from VW2016 to VW2017.  It's such a drag on productivity.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
2 hours ago, Rob Walen said:

I've been sifting through the responses to see if this has ever been resolved....anything?  I've been having this screen redraw issue ever since upgrading from VW2016 to VW2017.  It's such a drag on productivity.

If you go to Tools > Options > Vectorworks Preferences > Display > Navigation Graphics and set that to the middle or low option, does that keep happening or stop entirely?

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, JimW said:

If you go to Tools > Options > Vectorworks Preferences > Display > Navigation Graphics and set that to the middle or low option, does that keep happening or stop entirely?

I was set to 'Best Performance' and I just changed it to 'Good Performance and Compatibility'.  Closed/re-opened the program.  So far, I'm not having the previous issue when inserting symbols - now when I insert new symbols into the drawing; they appear immediately.  It seems a little more "jerky" as I navigate around the screen or using the 'hand' tool.  I'll continue to work and see if this fixes the other redraw issues.