Screen Redraw Issue

Andy Broomell

Question

I'm having an issue with a file where anytime I do anything, such as draw something or move it, nothing shows up or changes until I zoom in or out a little bit. It's quite frustrating. I've tried restarting my computer. Could it be a corrupt file? I've also tried copying and pasting everything into a new file and it started doing it in that file also. Corrupt object?

The file was started in 2016. Yesterday I started working on it in 2017. After a while the issue started appearing, so I thought it was maybe a 2017 thing, so I back saved to 2016 and continued working there, but the issue keeps coming back.

Any thoughts?

• Like 1

Hi All.

I'm on a PC, and I have intermittent redraw issues.

Basically, it's a load of symbols, with additions, subtractions and so on... When you "drill in" to edit the symbol, when moving certain items the screen fails to redraw. The item is actually moved as it highlights in the new place when you hover over it, but it stays drawn at the previous position.

Only way to get it to change is to either go into an ISO view and then back again to the previous view.... or to go openGL and back to wireframe...

Even double clicking the pan tool doesn't force a redraw..

This occurs on all three graphic settings, max performance, balanced and max compatibility.

I have a laptop with a intel on-board graphics and a Nvidia 845m... and VW 2017 is forced to use the nvidia.

Any ideas how to fix?

20 hours ago, JimW said:

If altering the setting under Tools > Options > Vectorworks Preferences > Display > Navigation Graphics to the middle or lowest option does not correct it, this issue may be the same as submitted in VB-137015. 

yep, did all of the varous graphic options, power cycles, forcing nvidia and so on and it exhibits the same behaviour in sp0 and sp1.

also this is still an issue, regardless of graphic settings.

/topic/45829-graphics-module-issue/

If you are on Windows 10 Anniversary update then you may want to try reinstalling your graphics card driver. You could try anyway.  How much dedicated VRAM does your nVidia card have?

Another thing you may want to try if VW seems to be slow in general is to uninstall GeForce Experience as sometimes it prevents the nVidia 3D settings that force VW to use the nVidia card to be applied to Vectorworks (and some other programs) and it defaults back to the on-board Intel graphics. This bug should have been fixed but you could try.

Edited by Art V

i'm having redraw issues and am wondering if i do not have my video setting configured correctly. every time i do anything in vectorworks the software screen goes black and then redraws all the palettes, sometimes more than once. is this a known issue?

vw 2017 sp2 build 338823

video card: nvidia quadro M5000

machine specs attached:

Capture.PNG

I belive this was talked about before - but I was unable to find the thread - 

We are having an issue with 2017, where the program does not redraw after a move or change until you pan or zoom.  So if I move a wall or join 2 lines - the nothing will appear to have happened.  If you hover - the selection highlights will indicate that the move or join has occurred, but it is not until a zoom or pan does it redraw correctly.  This happens at all display level settings.  What can we do - this is actually a surprising drag on speed. 

On 1/26/2017 at 1:11 PM, Kevin McAllister said:

Tom,

This may not be related but is Time Machine running on that machine? I've found that if Time Machine is trying to back up in the background it pretty much brings VW to a standstill. Similarly but not quite as bad when Dropbox is trying to sync in the background.

Kevin

I confirmed that no Dropbox and now Timemachine.

Here seems to be a related issue.  Here I have geometry from one layer always being shown after a view change.  So even though I do not have that layer visible - and I have my layers selected to Active Only - that information will be shown.  After you change your layer settings - things look good for a second...until you draw, pan, or zoom - and then on that redraw - that old ghost layer shows up.  See the video below.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I've seen anecdotal evidence of this but can't prove it in testing. To roll back you'd have to fully uninstall, then message me with the last 6 of your serial number and I can get you an SP1 installer for your license.

If you already have a previously downloaded SP1 installer, that would also work fine. You can install SP0 if you have it and then use the SP1 patch on it's own to get there as well: http://www.vectorworks.net/downloads/ServicePack?major=2017&servicepack=1&language=1

Any of these methods would work to go to SP1 and none any better than another, just wanted to list all the possible routes. 

Just now, JimW said:

I've seen anecdotal evidence of this but can't prove it in testing. To roll back you'd have to fully uninstall, then message me with the last 6 of your serial number and I can get you an SP1 installer for your license.

If you already have a previously downloaded SP1 installer, that would also work fine. You can install SP0 as well if you have it and then use the SP1 patch on it's own to get there as well: http://www.vectorworks.net/downloads/ServicePack?major=2017&servicepack=1&language=1

Any of these methods would work to go to SP1 and none any better than another, just wanted to list all the possible routes. 

Thanks.  We will mull it over.