extruded moulding displays lines in render modes

JamDar

I've been having fun creating moulding for a set design and extruding the actual profiles that will be used in a 3D model.  I use the extrude and extrude along path command to craft the moulding after tracing the profile with the polyline tool.  What I want is a clean perspective line drawing so that I can print it and then do my watercolor work by hand.  The problem is that the extruded curves of the moulding display with multiple lines in the hidden line render mode.  Artistic Renderworks isn't any better regardless of how I set the options.  3d conversion is set to high.  Any suggestions?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
2 hours ago, JamDar said:

I've been having fun creating moulding for a set design and extruding the actual profiles that will be used in a 3D model.  I use the extrude and extrude along path command to craft the moulding after tracing the profile with the polyline tool.  What I want is a clean perspective line drawing so that I can print it and then do my watercolor work by hand.  The problem is that the extruded curves of the moulding display with multiple lines in the hidden line render mode.  Artistic Renderworks isn't any better regardless of how I set the options.  3d conversion is set to high.  Any suggestions?

Post a screenshot of what you are seeing please, there can be different root causes.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Now, about your question on how to create a useful white model, I'd recommend starting with a rendering style named white model. No color, yes to textures, no background, yes to ambient occlusion, that is important, 300 dpi and here is a trick, add an artistic edge, plain is good and go lower on the number, try 1 pxl or .05 of pixel. that provides a fine line. (see samples)

Not sure about the faceted lines on curves, unless you are using hidden line as your output instead of renderworks.

White model w ambient occl.png

white model with lines.png

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, Luis M Ruiz said:

Now, about your question on how to create a useful white model, I'd recommend starting with a rendering style named white model. No color, yes to textures, no background, yes to ambient occlusion, that is important, 300 dpi and here is a trick, add an artistic edge, plain is good and go lower on the number, try 1 pxl or .05 of pixel. that provides a fine line. (see samples)

Not sure about the faceted lines on curves, unless you are using hidden line as your output instead of renderworks.

White model w ambient occl.png

white model with lines.png

Is it possible to post this file? It would be an immensely helpful resource.

Mine was facetted too. Luis, what is your Quality set to for Curved Geometry.

Wish list - If this render edges setting had a smoothing angle it would be very useful in an everyday workflow....

Thanks,

Kevin

19 hours ago, Luis M Ruiz said:

Thank you, Luis and all who commented on this post.  I think my problem is using hidden line rendering.  To date, Custom Renderworks settings have not yielded the results I want, which is a clean line drawing.  The same issue with viewports for elevations and sections.  I'm attaching a screenshot of the hidden line rendering and an attempt using Artistic Renderworks "pen thin distance" with pixel set at .75 and gray rather than black for the lines.  That one works pretty well as I can paint it with no shadows or extraneous shading to muck up what I'm doing with the brush.  Still vexing me is the fact that the faceting of the moulding appears in the detail drawings, which I can't render with Artist Renderworks nor have I found a Custom Renderworks setting that preserves the look of a straight drafted 2D elevation, like I would have done with a pencil or ink in the distant past.  Attached is a screenshot of a detail form one of the 2D elevation drawings.

Screen Shot 2016-09-23 at 11.36.00 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-23 at 12.03.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-23 at 12.10.42 PM.png

Edited by JamDar