Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Compose/connect/combine lines and arcs within one single polyline

RuudB

Dear all,

I want to make a freeform 2D object. I drew this already by making lines and arcs, but I cannot find a way to combine them. The "Compose" button in the menu of Vectorworks is doing this, but the node in Marionette is missing.

Does someone found a way to do this or created the node?

Ruud

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello,

There is currently no "compose" node or its equivalent in Marionette. It is definitely on the wishlist though! There are however always ways to get the result you are looking for - Did you draw the separate pieces in Marionette? If so, there is probably a way to draw it as a single object using Marionette - I would suggest looking at the nodes in the Poly 2D category. If you drew it freehand, is there a particular reason you want to compose it with Marionette instead of using the Compose command?

Sarah

22 hours ago, sbarrett said:

Hello,

There is currently no "compose" node or its equivalent in Marionette. It is definitely on the wishlist though! There are however always ways to get the result you are looking for - Did you draw the separate pieces in Marionette? If so, there is probably a way to draw it as a single object using Marionette - I would suggest looking at the nodes in the Poly 2D category. If you drew it freehand, is there a particular reason you want to compose it with Marionette instead of using the Compose command?

Sarah

Hi Sarah. I already found a post from April of someone facing the same problem. So I was hoping this to be on the wishlist, luckily it is :) I drew everything in Marionette, it's a combination of lines and arcs. This is part of a bigger project where I have to draw thousends of different elements, which are just slightly different. That's why I want to use Marionette.

21 hours ago, Patrick Winkler said:

Hi RuudB,

here is a node for composing objects based on the function 'DoMenuTextByName'.

Compose.vwx

Thanks Patrick! This sounds amazing. I already heard of that command, but I didn't manage in using it correctly. I will check out the node :D 

On 22-9-2016 at 2:53 PM, Patrick Winkler said:

Hi RuudB,

here is a node for composing objects based on the function 'DoMenuTextByName'.

Compose.vwx

He Patrick,

For existing lines in my file this node works perfect. But the problem in my case is that I created lines in Marionette. So I like to link these lines directly to a "Compose" node. Do you know how to do that? I tried a lot already within the script, but I didn't manage to select the lines created.

Ruud

The problem is SetLinksObject in the node definition . If this property is set the objects are not complete at the point where the Compose-Node is executed.

You can disabled the property in the line nodes but then the lines from the previous execution will not get replaced by the new ones.

@Marionette.NodeDefinition
class Params(metaclass = Marionette.OrderedClass):
	this = Marionette.Node( "Line" ) 
	this.SetDescription( "Creates a new 2D line in the drawing" )
	start = Marionette.PortIn( (0,0) )
	start.SetDescription( "the line's start point" )
	end = Marionette.PortIn( (1,0) )
	end.SetDescription( "the line's end point" )
	lineH = Marionette.PortOut( "line" )
	lineH.SetDescription( "the newly created line" )

#this.SetLinksObjects() # <<<-----------

def RunNode(self):
	vs.MoveTo(self.Params.start.value)
	vs.LineTo(self.Params.end.value)

self.Params.lineH.value = vs.LNewObj()

Edited by Patrick Winkler
  • Like 1
  • Marionette Maven

@Patrick Winkler, there's a workaround that can keep the object attached to the network.

The only issue I'm running into now is returning the object to pass out of the output port.

@RuudB, let me know if this helps at all. Right now, you just won't be able to manipulate the object after it's composed, until I can figure out how to find it... :) 

MarionetteCompose_WIP_MFarrell_v2016.vwx

1 minute ago, MarissaF said:

@Patrick Winkler, there's a workaround that can keep the object attached to the network.

The only issue I'm running into now is returning the object to pass out of the output port.

@RuudB, let me know if this helps at all. Right now, you just won't be able to manipulate the object after it's composed, until I can figure out how to find it... :) 

MarionetteCompose_WIP_MFarrell_v2016.vwx

Do you mean the copy node? Hav tried this but somehow it did not produce a copy of the objects.

14 minutes ago, MarissaF said:

I wrote a new compose node, it's in that file. Hopefully you can make sense of it and see what I did. :) 

Thanks for the enhancement but with LNewObj you can get problems.

The Compose command can create more than one object, thats the reason why I took the handles by:

self.Params.out.value = get_Objs_by_Crit ('(VSEL=TRUE)')