By Class by default

Matt Overton

Question

Could there be a single application preference that makes every control that can be set "by class" default to being "by class"?

This would save buckets of time changing things to be as they should be under best practice but understand you can't just default that way without effecting legacy workflows. 

Shouldn't be per document as it's tied to the office best practice and only needs to turned on once and we'd like it to automatically apply to all files.

10 answers to this question

Make sure all classes have the "Use At Creation" box checked in the Edit Class dialog box - this should mean that all objects will use the class attributes regardless of what the attribute pallet is set at, and those objects will have their default settings as "By Class"

I know this might mean editing each class to make sure this setting is turned on - but once you have made the change, it should have the desired effect.  Also - there is a plug-in out there - I think by Savvy - that is a "Attributes by class" tool.  So you could select all and use the tool to change all objects to use class default settings. 

Edited by Tom Klaber
  • Like 1
29 minutes ago, Tom Klaber said:

Make sure all classes have the "Use At Creation" box checked in the Edit Class dialog box - this should mean that all objects will use the class attributes regardless of what the attribute pallet is set at, and those objects will have their default settings as "By Class"

Is this true ?
I thought I always had to go through, select All Elements and set them explicitly to "set all by Class" in Attribute Box, from time to time ?
Thought this will work only if you change, Elements set selective, to another Class that has "use Class" activated.

At least we can select all Classes at once in Class Organisation to activate "use Class"

8 minutes ago, zoomer said:

Is this true ?
I thought I always had to go through, select All Elements and set them explicitly to "set all by Class" in Attribute Box, from time to time ?
Thought this will work only if you change, Elements set selective, to another Class that has "use Class" activated.

At least we can select all Classes at once in Class Organisation to activate "use Class"

It is true!

When you draw an object, the object will be placed in the active class.  The object will take on the attributes as set in the Attributes palette - whether that be By Class settings or just the random setting you have set - *UNLESS* the active class has the "Use at Creation" setting selected - then - as the name suggests - all objects created when that class is active will get the class attributes regardless of the Attribute palette settings.  Very cool feature.  I think most classes should have this on; for in the vast majority of cases you will want the objects you are creating to take on the class attributes.  

• Like 1

Automatic changing of attributes to by class will only happen if "use at creation" is enabled and creating a new object.

It will also work automatically when changing the class of an object to a class that has "use at creation" active and you answer yes the very first time you get asked if you want to apply the class attributes.

In all other cases you'll need to change the settings manually.

That being said, if the intent is to change all attributes to by class automatically when opening a file then I'd be very cautious to use it as it may be our own office standard, but client's standards could be quite different and you don't want to mess up things with an automated setting to by class. The best way to get this done imho, would be to set up templates where all classes have "use at creation" activated.

What might be more useful is an option to set new classes to automatically have "use at creation" activated as a default when creating a new class (currently the default is not to set this active). It is easy to forget to activate the "use at creation" when in hurry.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Art V said:

What might be more useful is an option to set new classes to automatically have "use at creation" activated as a default when creating a new class (currently the default is not to set this active). It is easy to forget to activate the "use at creation" when in hurry.

Yes, I think "use by Class" override was not wished for Classes but all these Plugin Settings where you have to set
each single option back to by Class - every time.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Tom Klaber said:

I know this might mean editing each class to make sure this setting is turned on - but once you have made the change, it should have the desired effect.  Also - there is a plug-in out there - I think by Savvy - that is a "Attributes by class" tool.  So you could select all and use the tool to change all objects to use class default settings. 

Well you don't have to edit each class, you can bulk edit them but just remember to get out quick and not change any other settings. Just tested this to make sure it works and almost died when it wouldn't let me edit classes in bulk. Then put the list in non-heirarchical display mode and all was well.

6 hours ago, zoomer said:

Yes, I think "use by Class" override was not wished for Classes but all these Plugin Settings where you have to set
each single option back to by Class - every time.

Yes 17 clicks per wall/ roof/ slab component (min 2 more like 3+ per wall 45+ clicks on top of the meaningful ones) plus 11 in the overall wall /roof / slab. 

Stock Windows and Doors set by plug in (which is why I love Windoor with it's sensible pre-configuration)

Space Object uses a mixture of by Class and embedded object settings.

That is only from a quick sample of common objects. All of this is time that people need to think about getting the system to work the "right way" instead of only every thinking about the special cases of when to not work that way.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Art V said:

Automatic changing of attributes to by class will only happen if "use at creation" is enabled and creating a new object.

It will also work automatically when changing the class of an object to a class that has "use at creation" active and you answer yes the very first time you get asked if you want to apply the class attributes.

In all other cases you'll need to change the settings manually.

That being said, if the intent is to change all attributes to by class automatically when opening a file then I'd be very cautious to use it as it may be our own office standard, but client's standards could be quite different and you don't want to mess up things with an automated setting to by class. The best way to get this done imho, would be to set up templates where all classes have "use at creation" activated.

Fully agree once the user has made a decision then the program must respect that and carry in on.

Yes it's more about how the program presents itself for the user to make that choice. Does it favour best practice and have class set to use attributes and textures and creation. Do plug-ins put their best foot forward and have settings that produce sensible work-efficient settings out of the box.

10 hours ago, Matt Overton said:

Yes 17 clicks per wall/ roof/ slab component (min 2 more like 3+ per wall 45+ clicks on top of the meaningful ones) plus 11 in the overall wall /roof / slab. 

Stock Windows and Doors set by plug in (which is why I love Windoor with it's sensible pre-configuration)

Space Object uses a mixture of by Class and embedded object settings.

That is only from a quick sample of common objects. All of this is time that people need to think about getting the system to work the "right way" instead of only every thinking about the special cases of when to not work that way.

Ah, now I get what you were thinking of. Yes in this case some "flip switch" to set all subclasses to use by-class for properties would be a big help in case they're not already set that way.

Which reminds me I have to re-submit my default class override request

• Like 1
On 23/09/2016 at 2:59 AM, JimW said:

Once you enable Use at Creation for the classes, you just have to save that into your template and then it becomes the default behavior for any documents you create after without having to think about it.

I take it then that this should be considered a bug in the wall, slab and roof styles that they don't respect the users choice to Use class attributes at creation not a wishlist item?