Simple Stair Question

I moved the 2nd floor slab to 2nd floor layer - checked z heights, gave it a mocha solid fill to easier see it. The orange line is the floor slab boundary.  Still the stair trumps.  If I send the floor to the front with fill then the 2nd floor elements are not visible, without fill the steps in question are still visible. I think I'll just change the stair to view to 'above break only' and be done with it.

Screenshot 2016-09-21 09.32.20.png

Is the stair shown the foot of the stairs or the head.  I would assume the head with the use of dashed lines representing risers/treads above the cut line.  In this case I would say that

this is an acceptable view as you would want to illustrate the type and position of the framing required for the opening above.  (This assuming your making working drawings and not presentation drawings.)

If this is the foot of the stairs the floor/slab you put in along with the opening wanted for the stairs would not show the extra risers.  Not sure if this is clear or not.

Thanks to all for you help.  I'm still sure where I want to put my floor slab.  I don't usually show it on a floor plan view, but maybe I'll change my way of thinking! And I never considered putting the stair and floor slab on a unique layer.  Hmm.  So for now I'll adjust stair break and view.  So these are my two simple options that I'll choose from.

Thanks again, I appreciate your time and suggestions.

Screenshot 2016-09-22 16.12.37.png

Screenshot 2016-09-22 16.14.30.png

Matt, Sorry for the misunderstanding. Ok if its the treads going under the wall and slab then the slab on level 2 hides the stair going down to level 1. see image I have made the slab slightly transparent. Hopefully I understand the situation now. I find the Stair tool handles all this.

Capture.JPG

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
18 hours ago, P Retondo said:

Matt, sounds like a job for the mask!  I can't tell you how many times I have had to mask over glitches in VW automation, I sometimes think it's easier to mask than to even think about a better way.

Hi Pete,

As Alan illustrates, using the slab to mask the stair works well. Creating a separate mask (rectangle with white fill and line) also works but gives you more to mange when making revisions. As you mention, however, there are other situations in VW where masking an artifact is easier than trying to do otherwise.