subdivision and textures

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

It seems to do a fairly good job as long as you don't REALLY stretch a single face a great distance relative to its overall size, basically making sure you have a reasonable number of faces in the internal mesh to represent long bits and it's fine. I only tried it with non directional image based or non-repeating textures, things such as grained wood or other directional textures still need a solution.

• Like 1

i have just done a test render in artlantis to see if the materials will map any better using my render package but seems to have the same slight problems

my other problem may be that artlantis do not issue an export plug in from vw 2017 to artlantis 5 which means i will have to still use 2016 as i don't want to upgrade my artlantis package to 6

i do hope this will not be the case........

jim can you cast any light on this please

CAM1.jpg

45 minutes ago, P Retondo said:

It may not matter from certain perspectives, but imagine trying to cover such a shape with textile in the real world.  In this case the problems with applying a texture mirror the real-world problems of trying to cover an organic shape with planar materials.

Yes, if you want to show textiles (or any material) on an object and have it represented as in real life I guess you need to spend some time and model it as it would be constructed and covered in real life. 
Yes UV mapping can solve all this but its still faking it.

I made a similar quick chair in VW with SUB-D and then UV mapped it in C4D BodyPaint and then back into VW (OBJ).

A while ago I posted about Sub-D being pretty much useless for patterned textures and Jim suggested that I use BP. Fortunately as an Education User I can get C4D at a much lower price. Learning BP took a short-while but it does look like it is the answer for the near future as it is doubtful VW will get any kind of UV mapping tools.

I just put a couple of quick textures on there to show that the process can be pretty versatile.

Happy to answer any questions on the process.

Screen Shot 2016-09-25 at 15.46.25.png

• Like 1
On 9/22/2016 at 7:52 AM, Phil hunt said:

i have just done a test render in artlantis to see if the materials will map any better using my render package but seems to have the same slight problems

my other problem may be that artlantis do not issue an export plug in from vw 2017 to artlantis 5 which means i will have to still use 2016 as i don't want to upgrade my artlantis package to 6

i do hope this will not be the case........

jim can you cast any light on this please

jim

do you have anything to do with the above re plug-ins      thanks

I don't know a lot about atlantis but if it is a renderer then the mapping will remain the same (what VW generates) so there would be no difference whichever version you use?

(Just had a quick read and it seems it will use the imported map so seems there would indeed be no difference - could be wrong of course).

its just that i want to use v17 but without the export plugin from vectorworks to artlantis i can't use the updated software

so i can only use v16 as this does have an export plug in

i have asked artlantis but they are as much help ......   as well you know what......they need someone like Jim who responds to all 

the good news is that i am trying to use the renderworks package to save me using artlantis its just a bind at the moment to convert all my car models over with all the correct texturing

so I can use these in my models........i am trying but its taking an age to ungroup and reapply the textures