Select Similar tool not recognizing color of light object

Andy Broomell

Question

I have a bunch of lights in a file (talking about VW rendering lights, not Spotlight instruments). Say I want to select only the red ones, but not the blue ones. I go to the Select Similar tool, set the options to look for Object Type and and Background Fill Color, and click on a red light. It selects all of the lights, including the blue ones.

Why doesn't the Select Similar tool recognize the light's color attribute? The same settings work for rectangles filled with red and blue, but not lights. I suspect it has something to do with a light's color also being an attribute in the OIP, but not sure why this causes it to not work since the color is also controlled by the Attribute Palette's Fill.

1 answer to this question

I just duplicated this here. I think it is a bug.

It seems that it should work. The color is shown in the Attributes palette as being different.

I even changed the settings to ONLY work based on color and it still selected all of the lights.

If you have a combination of lights and rectangles, even with only Background Fill selected, it will not select the other object type.

8 objects in drawing. 2 red rects, 2 blue rects, 2 red lights, 2 blue lights. Red and Blue are the same for all objects.

Select Similar with ONLY Background Color selects.

Click on Red Rect, 2 red rects select

Click on Blue Rect, 2 blue rects select

Click on Red Light, all 4 lights select

Click on Blue Light, all 4 lights select.

• Like 1