Vectorworks Remote

Kevin McAllister

Question

7 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Kevin,

Have you updated both the VW Remote Plugin and the Remote app?

Here's the download for the plugin installer:
https://cloud.vectorworks.net/products/remote/download/

Here are more in depth installation instructions:
https://cloud.vectorworks.net/products/remote/install_guide/

If you could provide your Mac OS version and the mobile device you are using we will verify this is working for us.

Thanks,

Alex

Hi Kevin,

Just to add to Alex's reply, I assume you may have already tried troubleshooting your connection using our troubleshooting guide, since you mentioned pinging your desktop from your phone? But if you haven't seen it, this article may provide you with some ideas as to why the connection may not be successfull: https://cloud.vectorworks.net/products/remote/connection_guide/

I think, since you are successful with the Ping, I think the only thing to look at would probably be your firewall settings and making sure Vectorworks is not listed as an application which is not allowed to communicate through the firewall.

Thanks,

Iskra Nikolova

Quality Assurance

Vectorworks Cloud Services

Thanks to you both for your replies. The VW Remote Plugin was a fresh download yesterday as was the Remote App. I am running 10.11.6 on my system as per my signature. My phone is an iPhone6 running iOS 9.5.3. I followed the Troubleshooting guide above before posting. I also configured my Firewall to allow VW2017 access.

(As an aside, the installation experience wasn't great for the VW Remote Plugin. NV is a identified developer when I install VW. Why do I have to "Allow Apps downloaded from anywhere" to be able to install this plugin? Also I have no idea what a MIS expert is. Instructions shouldn't really use jargon.)

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your response. We will take out the abbreviation from our instructions. Also, the plug-in installer should have been signed, so we will look into this issue. Looks like it is a bug. 

My next suggestion for you to try changing the default port, to see if there may be aproblem with the default port being blocked for you.

To do this, follow the steps below:

1. Open the Vectorworks Remote Setup dialog and click on the Advanced settings button.  

2.. Change the Server Port number to 8080. (Make a note of the IP address shown in this dialog as well, as you would need it for step 4.) Save your change by clicking the OK button.

3. Open the Remote mobile app and choose to connect with the Manual Connection option.

4. Type the IP address and port that appeared in the Advanced settings dialog in Vectorworks (example: 192.168.1.1:8080) and click OK. 

Are you able to connect this way?

Thanks,

Iskra Nikolova