Default 3D Render Mode: Ortho vs Perspective

Andy Broomell

Question

I want the Default 3D Render Mode to be able to differentiate between orthogonal and perspective projection.

I currently leave the Default 3D Projection set to Orthogonal and my Default 3D Render Mode to Wireframe, because when I switch to Front, Right, Back, etc., I need it to be Orthogonal Wireframe, not perspective OpenGL which was the default (and doesn't make any sense).

But when I switch to a perspective mode I want it to automatically switch to OpenGL. So switching to the Walkthrough tool would automatically switch me to OpenGL, for example.

Mock-up of how the Quick-Pref could look:

Default-3D-Render-Mode.jpg

• Like 3

5 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Agreed, I filed a similar wish on letting users choose perspective-per-render-mode since like you, many want ortho wireframe and perspective opengl, myself included. Generally when I'm looking at front, side or rear views I'm going for aligning something properly in Z and don't want perspective, but otherwise I want to see solids. This should be completely user-configurable. Adding this to the request.

• Like 1

What ?
You have this granularity in Windows ?

I (OS X) always dreamed of this.
Does the second setting also work in a way that you can set all Isometrics to Perspective
while keeping the orthogonal 3D Views ... ahm ... orthogonal ?

And if I could have this;
I would of course need your wish, of keeping those wireframe only, too.