VW 2017 Libraries update problem

Kevin C

Question

Do you also get an error when trying to update the library catalog?

I had the same issue and when trying to update the library catalog it popped up an error stating it had not enough rights or that the file might be missing.

Running VW as administrator solves this problem as the update can then be completed and on subsequent starts of VW this message no longer appears as long as there is no update to a library.

The local support desk did not know that is causing this, as everything else works fine her (for as far as I can tell), perhaps it will be solved in SP1.

I am an administrator (on the Mac).  I presume that you are running PC which gives you the option of running each program as an administrator - Mac does not.  As far as everything else in VW2017 working well, we are having quite a few problems.

1. Major issues with Graphics - 2 machines are on iMac 5K retina with 4GB cards. Haven't loaded up on the older iMac yet (it is a 2011 i7 with a 2GB card.
  2. Text not displaying properly - mirrored / upside down / back to front / at an angle until the file was re-opened and all the test selected and refreshed (callouts only for some reason)
  3. Tiles and hatches no showing in the correct orientation - In the design layer but properly in the sheet layer, I had one guy in the office this morning almost pull his 

SO FAR.

I do like the resource manager though, but pity that none of the bigger issues have been looked at again - Stairs and handrails for example.  Someone needs to look at this seriously as I am still unable to use handrails for any project.

Haven't had a chance to try out the walls and roofs yet, but as there was nothing in the update blurb, I am not holding out any hope that basic improvements have been carried out.

Vectorworks is not just a design tool, it is a production tool and the software has to move past the 'pretty picture' and provide for production information.

I'm having graphics display issues as well in some limited cases where things don't update properly but not like you are having, but noticed that some other program is getting them too so it might be the last driver update causing some issues. But from an OS interaction perspective it seems to be running ok except for this update issue and the graphics display but that could also be a driver/monitor setup thing in combination with the heavier demands of the new VGM.

Yes I am on PC, it's been along time since I used a Mac (OS 9 days) so I guessed there might be an admin mode for running programs with elevated rights.

It seems to me that the Mac version has a bit more bugs than the Windows version, so I hope for the Mac users that the rumoured new processor for the Macbook Pro is not going to make things worse.

Yes,  quite a few bugs but there, but I wouldn't be getting the new Macbook Pro anyway.  It is a lot of money for a glorified laptop and since my office runs full blown iMacs, there is no justification.  I do have an ASUS N53S laptop which I use when WFH. Will see how 2017 does on that.

9 hours ago, Kevin C said:

Does anyone know how to stop the pop-up for "Vectorworks Libraries Update" which pops up every time I start VW.  I updated the libraries when it was installed and now every time I start VW - Getting a bit annoying. 

Could it be that your Resources get updated in any way.
Thinking about synchronization (dropbox, iCloud) or such things.

Or empty mainboard battery, or resources on a Server and different time settings.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
13 hours ago, Kevin C said:

Does anyone know how to stop the pop-up for "Vectorworks Libraries Update" which pops up every time I start VW.  I updated the libraries when it was installed and now every time I start VW - Getting a bit annoying. 

It should go away after you hit update.

Do you have many resource libraries  in your User an/or Workgroup folder ? When the dialog pop-up again, if you hit update, does the progress dialog shows anything being updated at all ?

Edited by Hugues

Could anyone who got the library update errors please reply back with the answers to the following:

1) Is your account that you use on a daily basis an Administrator account, or standard?

2) Have you ever used a method other than the standard installer to install Vectorworks? Such as transferring it from another machine?

3) Did you get any errors during the installation of 2017?

4) Have you ever to your knowledge altered permissions settings on your Application folders?

5) What are the permissions of your Applications / Vectorworks 2017 / Libraries folders currently set to? (This is seen on the bottom of Get Info for the folder on Mac or under Properties > Sharing on Windows)

6) Also attach the following from your machine, please: http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/627/DirectX+Diagnostics+and+System+Profiler

Thank you, engineering is looking to get this cleaned up for SP1 and your replies will be most useful.

1. My account is an administrator
  2. No - just standard install
  3. No errors during installation
  4. No
  5. Me (admin group) - full access except for special permissions / Common users - Read only and execute VW

There is also an "all application packages" entry for the VW main program folder  , the settings for that are: read & execute/list folder/read , write access is not enabled for the VW main application folder for this entry.

The settings of the user folder are the same as under item 5 above.

The DXDIAG file is already available with support. (will reference to this thread in my reply on the submitted bug earlier this week)

@Kevin Cif you are referring to my  run as admin additions, no,  it only means that on Windows there is a possible "way out"  of this issue. The strange thing is that my PC account is an admin account so it should not have a problem accessing the folder. Running the software with admin privilege does seem to solve the not being able to update the library folder.

My totally undeducated guess is that it may have to do with the "all applications packages"  entry not having write access for updating files in the folder, there might be something similar on MacOS. Since you don't seem to have a "run as administrator"  option on MacOS you're kind of stuck.

We'll have to wait for Jim to let us know that the actual problem is once the engineering people have solved it.

I do not, unfortunately. At the very least it will be a few weeks from now however.

The main suspected cause is the Resource Manager improperly interpreting large custom user libraries as out of date default libraries, so users with no custom libraries, or smaller ones may not see the problem.

1 hour ago, JimW said:

The main suspected cause is the Resource Manager improperly interpreting large custom user libraries as out of date default libraries, so users with no custom libraries, or smaller ones may not see the problem.

Except for a few parametric symbols in the plug-ins folder and the extensio plugin-in items I do not have any custom libraries installed in VW2017. So what is installed by the extensio plugin is probably quite small compared to a regular library, i.e. less than 20 MB.

18 minutes ago, Art V said:

Except for a few parametric symbols in the plug-ins folder and the extensio plugin-in items I do not have any custom libraries installed in VW2017. So what is installed by the extensio plugin is probably quite small compared to a regular library, i.e. less than 20 MB.

I just checked, the 2017 lib will be around 22ish. You could move them away as the 2016 plug-in won't work in 2017 and the library will be refreshed anyway when you get to use the 2017 version.
You can still copy over stuff afterwards. 

As a sidenote, I don't have this issue. Maybe this is caused by having 2016 files inside the 2017 folder? You could have a look into that direction and see if converting all files fixes the popup. Just a thought.

Edited by Hippocode
1 hour ago, Hippocode said:

I just checked, the 2017 lib will be around 22ish. You could move them away as the 2016 plug-in won't work in 2017 and the library will be refreshed anyway when you get to use the 2017 version.
You can still copy over stuff afterwards. 

As a sidenote, I don't have this issue. Maybe this is caused by having 2016 files inside the 2017 folder? You could have a look into that direction and see if converting all files fixes the popup. Just a thought.

Just checked, I had already removed the Extensio libraries and plugins, the only remnant left was the license code and just removed that as well, but that should not have an impact.

So it are only a few parametric objects left. Switched back to the normal Landmark workspace instead of my custom converted workspace and it still hangs at 2% when updating the libraries catalog and giving the error message of making sure that the libraries exist and that an internet connection is available.

So at least we know the Extensio plugins don't play any role in this.

I have been using 2017 daily with no issues until yesterday I started to get this message. I ran the update not realizing that this will write over all of your customized files in your User Folder!!!

I understand updating the catalog in the VW Libraries but not my personal User Folder. Be aware!   I highly suggest to the engineering team at VW to add in a popup that warns the user that all of there User files will be overwritten with the updates!!!  If I am completely off on this let me know!

Also, I might be nice to have some sort of a message letting you know what files have been updated.

Way off base on this one. I totally jumped the gun!

Edited by RMDiekmann
another thought!