App Window Size Always Opens Full Screen on Vectorworks Startup

Bruce Kieffer

Question

4 answers to this question

• Yes, annoying...but I think I figured it out. You are using the "Application Window" (AW)...which is a new(?) feature that allows you to have multiple files open simultaneously. 

• The problem is you cannot (as far as I can tell, and which seems odd) control the size of the AW upon launching the program (like you could before by setting the window size to your liking, then quitting the program).

• The solution is go to the Window (menu) > Use Application Window   and uncheck it. Then you will be back in the old fashioned mode you're used to.

• Btw I know you're using the AW because I can see at top the tab "French Door Staircase." In AW you could have other files open and organize them with tabs. In non-AW mode you can only have one file open at a time.

• If "Show Document Tabs" is checked, you can drag open files on and off that tab bar. "Undock Current Document" has the same effect as dragging files off the tab bar--which makes it a superfluous menu command in my opinion.

• Like 1
On 1/3/2017 at 0:58 PM, wivc said:

• Yes, annoying...but I think I figured it out. You are using the "Application Window" (AW)...which is a new(?) feature that allows you to have multiple files open simultaneously. 

• The problem is you cannot (as far as I can tell, and which seems odd) control the size of the AW upon launching the program (like you could before by setting the window size to your liking, then quitting the program).

• The solution is go to the Window (menu) > Use Application Window   and uncheck it. Then you will be back in the old fashioned mode you're used to.

• Btw I know you're using the AW because I can see at top the tab "French Door Staircase." In AW you could have other files open and organize them with tabs. In non-AW mode you can only have one file open at a time.

• If "Show Document Tabs" is checked, you can drag open files on and off that tab bar. "Undock Current Document" has the same effect as dragging files off the tab bar--which makes it a superfluous menu command in my opinion.

Small point, in pre-AW days you can have multiple VW files open and cycle through them via the Window menu by selecting the appropriate file name. Certainly not as elegant.  I too felt some frustration with the AW, particularly when trying to return to my desktop, but am slowly getting used to it...

Bob