My Mac Still Won't Auto Sleep Now With Vectorworks 2017

Bruce Kieffer

Question

@Bruce: I can confirm your findings and Vw2016 is preventing my MacBook Pro from sleeping.

Steps Taken:

• Clean install of Vw2016, restarted.
  • Repaired disk permissions with Disk Utility, restarted;
  • Reset the NVRAM (by restarting while holding down Command, Option, P, and R, continuing to hold them down through the third start up chime).
  • Then I started Vw2016 with no other software running.

A. I closed all Vw file windows, but left Vw running and it would not go to sleep on its own.

B. I left one Vw file open but turned off auto-save, still no sleep.

But it would go to sleep if I select Apple Menu > Sleep.

I think it's confirmed as a bug. I filed one through my VSS account, it would be good if you file one as well. Thanks for discovering it.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I suspect it may have something to do with the changes implemented that force Vectorworks to use superior discrete graphics as well as allow it to use all system resources needed. In prior versions we had issues on hardware that had both and Intel integrated low-power card and a dedicated one, where it keep defaulting to the lame card and causing bad performance or crashing since the lamer cards were below minimum requirements.

Those issues should be gone now, I'll keep an eye on this one to see if its related.

Thanks JimW. The response I got back from VSS Tech Support Premium this morning was that there are 'no other reports' of this issue. I'll email back the requested System Profiler report, but I have to say that it is a really easy bug to test for. It happened on both of Bruce's computers, and it happens on mine.

It'll be a few weeks before techs start to see the "common" reported issues clearly. For a while it'll be a whirlwind on the phones and in emails of making sure things aren't just user error or that they're 2016 specific before bugs can be filtered out and submitted. Support during a new release is... hectic.

It's logged and confirmed, but marked as something that can not be fixed in a service pack.

A lot of things that hook into something the OS does (power management, driver checking, file storage APIs) have to go through full implementation testing, which means they can only be changed on the yearly release versions.

I have two Mac computers, and this happens with both. It started in 2016. I'm told by another user that their systems do AUTO sleep. Does anyone else have this problem? Is it a known issue? I can make it sleep manually, but it won't AUTOMATICALLY sleep using the settings in the energy saver.

Screen Shot 2016-09-23 at 8.11.05 AM.png

Edited by Bruce Kieffer

You may want to try it out in a new user account:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/805/Creating+a+New+User+Account+(Mac+OS+X)

However if the issue still persists there, I am not sure. There was a bug in Vectorworks that kept MAcs awake but it was resolved somewhere in the SP cycle for 2016. If it keeps happening, make sure to get it touch with tech support directly.

@JimW- I haven't been using 2017 yet (waiting for SP1 - at least), but using 2016 SP4 my Mac has still been unable to sleep while Vw application is left open.

I was having many other Vw2016 issues (tools randomly breaking under one user account), so I wiped my HD, installed a clean OS 10.11, created new user accounts and it did not fix my Vw-induced insomnia.

As far as I can say, this was never fixed for me in any 2016 SP.

Edited by rDesign
On July 28, 2016 at 7:15 AM, rDesign said:

It still happens in SP4. You'd think this would be the easiest bug to test.

On July 28, 2016 at 7:27 AM, JimW said:

It's logged and confirmed, but marked as something that can not be fixed in a service pack.

A lot of things that hook into something the OS does (power management, driver checking, file storage APIs) have to go through full implementation testing, which means they can only be changed on the yearly release versions.

@JimW- I'm not seeing where this was fixed in a 2016 SP.