Right-mouse click for selecting all objects in a class or layer via navigation palette

Art V

Question

Right-mouse click option in navigation palettes to select all objects in the selected class or layer.
This would be much faster than using the magic wand, custom selection dialog or changing class/layer visibility to select all objects in a single class or layer without having to grey or disable visibility of other clasess/layers

• Like 1

9 answers to this question

13 hours ago, zoomer said:

Two of my saved Magic Wand Tool Presets is by Class, or Layer.
That works quite fast for me as my main palette is docked to the bottom of the VW window.

That would work well if you know what object to select for that particular class/layer to select all objects in that class/layer. (Without using workarounds like hiding other classes/layers to see which objects are on that class/layer before continuing a selection)

When you don't know it will be a trial and error experience and then the requested option would be helpful. e.g. when having multiple classes with the same appearance so that you can't tell from its looks which object belongs to which class.

6 hours ago, zoomer said:

Ah, got it.
No Object selection, more a Classes Content Selection.
(Used to have had that in Microstation)

Yes.

Imagine importing a dwg file where the objects should have the line thickness set to "bylayer" (by class) but the draftsperson did assign a manual line thickness. Now I have to go to the custom selection for each and every class or switch off all classes and then turn each class on for a select all and then set the object's line thickness to by class. If it are only two or three classes it is not a big issue. But if there are tens of classes it gets annoying. And the layer/class names can be different for another imported dwg with a similar issue.

This is one scenario where I would really like to have a simple easy way to select all objects in a class or layer as it is not just limited to e.g. changing line thickness as in the example where I could use it.

7 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

Already exists. Has forever.

Tools: Custom Selection

Yes I know, and use it for this and more complex selections, but for only selecting all objects in a class or layer it takes more effort than a simple right mouse button click on a class/layer in the navigation palette and select "select all objects in class/layer" from the submenu. Especially if you have to do this repeatedly the right mouse button route will save quite a bit of time compared to repeatedly bringing up the custom selection and setting the parameters.