Mild snapping when snaps are off? VW2017

Kevin McAllister

Question

Often when I'm editing polyline shapes I turn off all snaps so they don't influence organic curves. In VW2017 there seems to be a mild tendency when editing a point for it to snap back to its initial handle position or other surrounding handles. This mild snapping becomes more pronounced as you zoom out further. It also creates a small crosshair at the cursor when you cross over other polyline points.

I can see how this could be helpful in some instances but when there are no icons selected in the snapping palette there should be no snapping. The behaviour is different when I use ` to suspend snapping so there's definitely some sort of secret snapping occurring. I'm not that interested in holding down the ` key for an hour while I do fine tuning of a complex polyline.

Can someone else confirm this behaviour?

Thanks,

Kevin

Edited by Kevin McAllister

12 answers to this question

I also remember having had some ghost snapping, when not using snap,
same as selection highlighting where environment is deactivated, and those things.

But I vote for a general Deactivation Option (in Quick Prefs ?) to temporarily deactivate ALL Snapping,
without the need to switch each Snap Option off and back on.
"`" is ok for one-time deactivation, but to edit things like SubD's or your example current options are no alternative.

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I am unable to replicate that, the only thing that was changed related to snapping was Master Snaps I believe, which can be completely disabled in Tools > SmartCursor Settings > Object, but that should be disabling when object snapping is turned off anyway. Could you post a quick video of what it is doing on your end? (It's hard to describe/understand snap related issues in text or verbally.)

Just now, zoomer said:

But I vote for a general Deactivation Option (in Quick Prefs ?) to temporarily deactivate ALL Snapping,
without the need to switch each Snap Option off and back on.

I second that vote. It should be a snap button in the OIP that is "Disable all snaps". Frankly all snapping options should move to the snapping palette so I don't have to search for them - page snaps and PDF snaps come to mind.....

Kevin

2 minutes ago, JimW said:

I am unable to replicate that, the only thing that was changed related to snapping was Master Snaps I believe, which can be completely disabled in Tools > SmartCursor Settings > Object, but that should be disabling when object snapping is turned off anyway. Could you post a quick video of what it is doing on your end? (It's hard to describe/understand snap related issues in text or verbally.)

@JimWSure. Can you recommend a utility to record one on a Mac? Its not something I've done before.

Kevin

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Kevin McAllister said:

I second that vote. It should be a snap button in the OIP that is "Disable all snaps". Frankly all snapping options should move to the snapping palette so I don't have to search for them - page snaps and PDF snaps come to mind.....

Kevin

I third @zoomerand 2nd @Kevin McAllister, setting snaps on/off could be made simpler including a quick all on/off option.

• Like 1

I mentioned the option for a quick all/on off option for setting snaps, but it might be better if the quick on/off remembers the last snap settings configuration instead so that when you want to turn the snaps on you'll get the previously used settings instead of just all on. In addition to that there could also be a quick all on/all off option.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Confirmed, thank you, I hadnt tried zooming out so far and that makes it a bit more obvious. It looks like this also stops when ` is held down to suspend all snapping, but one would also expect this to be suspected by turning off all the snapping options in the palette. Submitting this now.

Edit: That resolution was fine by the way, as long as the res is high enough to see detail of the explanation anything goes.