MacOS 10.12 Sierra Compatibility

PVA - Admin

On my own head be it, but I am now running Sierra.

Really quick and easy upgrade.  Haven't used it much yet but VW 2016 and 2017 both opened the files I am working on at the moment with no issues.

Will report back in a couple of days.

iCloud documents is nice - but needs more control over which folders sync to the cloud I think.

Hope I don't regret this - massive meeting tomorrow with a load of creatives.  Dohhhh......

Problems I've notice so far with Vectworks 2017 and macOS Sierra

• I haven't been able to get Batch Convert working correctly. I've had to convert each file individually.
  • Arrowheads don't appear in Sheet Layer viewports in converted files. Works with newly created viewports in converted files
Edited by Robert J. Esser

I've had no issues so far on Sierra.  Haven't had an intense Vectorworks session - but been in and out of drawings in both 2016 and 2017 and all working perfectly.

Need to do a bunch of updates over the weekend - so fingers crossed all works well.

PS - Unlock your mac with your Apple Watch is fab!

Canon plotter IPF710

We removed the existing printer in the printer system preference and then reloaded it and the plotter works.

To add the the canon printer use the setup app found in the canon utilities folder in the applications folder.

Edited by bob cleaver
updated info

I'm not tempted like I was as a young man.  

Everything here is working great on El Cap.  Siri is nice, but she is seeing too many others.

I do not trust the cloud for important things, and who trusts the cloud for security these days?  Sierra is a snore as far as I'm concerned.  El Cap should stay at a similar level of security for at least a year.  I did let my hormones get in the way and upgraded to the new version of Safari.  That was annoying.  HTML video autoplays, you can't stop it, and sometimes they hide the controls.

I'm still waiting to hear what Sierra does to iPhoto, which I find an order of magnitude more useful than Photos.

Keep your pants on,

Donald

Meanwhile I went to Sierra anyway.

(No single new feature I would need - 80 % of new features I definitely don't want)

A Sierra Bug small one :

You can activate Icon Click Settings (like for Move to Points Tool - Retain Object Option Icon)

but Icon will no more change if you deactivate the Icon again - while you DO deactivate the Option in reality.

Similar to quick settings.

So it works, but just shows something else.

Compared to the issues I have with VW 2017 itself,

(Subobject Modes : Selections/Workplane Orientation/Snappings/Visibilities; Precision/Axis Constraints)

special Sierra Problems are quite Marginal and not worth mentioning.

Edited by zoomer
  • Marionette Maven
7 minutes ago, zoomer said:

I can't see the help index content in Sierra with Safari.

This is a known issue, my understanding is that there's an incompatibility with Safari 10 and VW Help.

You can probably use another browser, or install Safari 9, at least that's what I've heard.

We're waiting on support since it's not something we can fix directly.

Mid 2014 MBP retina 15" running MACOS Sierra without any issues at all ... except VWX2014 Spotlight SP5 will not install. VWX 2014 Spotlight from the DVD installs and runs ok, but SP5 is a non-starter. Has anyone got round this in any way? I am resident in France and the French distributor in Paris is a disaster otherwise I would have up-graded beyond 2014 by now.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
56 minutes ago, joejatkins said:

Mid 2014 MBP retina 15" running MACOS Sierra without any issues at all ... except VWX2014 Spotlight SP5 will not install. VWX 2014 Spotlight from the DVD installs and runs ok, but SP5 is a non-starter. Has anyone got round this in any way? I am resident in France and the French distributor in Paris is a disaster otherwise I would have up-graded beyond 2014 by now.

I have seen multiple issues with older version installers not working with macOS Sierra. These older versions will not receive any further patches however, so if they cease to function you would need to use either a newer version of Vectorworks or an older operating system. For the time being, no version of Vectorworks supports Sierra officially.

I recently updated to Mac Pro to OS Sierra 10.12.1 and found that I can't open files created in VW 2016. VW HANGS. I still have VW 2016 on my Mac and it is able to open it's files. Is there a work around for this issue?

Mac Pro 2010 5,1, 32G, GeForce GTX 680, Apricorn Velocity Solo X2 with 1 TB 840 EVO SSD, FASTA 6GU3 Pro USB 3.0 / SATA upgrade and 27" Apple LED Cinema Display.

Help does not come up when chosen from Vectorworks 2016 running on Mac OS Sierra [macOS 10.12.1 (16B2555)].

All I get is spinning boxes and Help never opens.  

I also tested VW 2016 on my old machine running Mavericks, and Help comes up fine.

I also tested VW 2017 on the machine running Sierra, and Help VW 2017 also comes up just fine.

It seems to be just a problem with VW 2016 running on Sierra.

Also, I am just wondering what all this stuff is in the Vectorworks/Help folder.  Is this content correct?

Screen Shot 2016-11-15 at 11.45.42 AM.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
6 minutes ago, PeterT said:

Help does not come up when chosen from Vectorworks 2016 running on Mac OS Sierra [macOS 10.12.1 (16B2555)].

All I get is spinning boxes and Help never opens.  

I also tested VW 2016 on my old machine running Mavericks, and Help comes up fine.

I also tested VW 2017 on the machine running Sierra, and Help VW 2017 also comes up just fine.

It seems to be just a problem with VW 2016 running on Sierra.

Also, I am just wondering what all this stuff is in the Vectorworks/Help folder.  Is this content correct?

That content is correct. Once 2016 and 2017 are made compatible with Sierra I will attempt to confirm this issue.

Why is it that when running macOS Sierra,  in VW 2014 clicking the green button in the upper left expands or reduces the window, and double clicking the title bar goes into full screen mode ignoring the palette margins?

But in VW 20115, 2016, and 2017 running n Mac OS Sierra it is the exact opposite.  Clicking the green button goes into full screen mode ignoring the palette margins, and double clicking the title bar expands or reduces the window.

Why was this changed?  Why can it work one way in 2014 and the opposite in more recent versions all running on the same operating system?

To make it worse, on another Mac running Mavericks and VW 2016 clicking the green button expands and reduces the window, and double clicking the title bar puts the window into the dock.

Why do we have three different implementations of what the title bar and green buttons do?  It is hard to keep track of all this depending on what OS I am using and what version of Vectorworks I am using.

What happens when double clicking the bar is an OS X user setting.

(Preferences > Dock)

What happens with the green light is scary.

I know that using the green light by using ALT gives me the old behavior,

maximize Windows according to content which never works for standard Apps

but maximizes 3D Apps while keeping all OS X menu bars.