MacOS 10.12 Sierra Compatibility

PVA - Admin

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

012-macos-sierra-970-80.jpg

As of Vectorworks 2017 SP2, we now officially support the macOS Sierra 10.12 operating system. Make sure to visit http://www.vectorworks.net/support/downloads/product-updates to find the latest service pack for Vectorworks 2017, or use the Check for Updates function directly in the application under the Vectorworks or Help menus.

If you encounter any issues you believe to be related to the Sierra OS update after you install 2017 SP2, please post in the troubleshooting subforum here:

https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/forum/55-troubleshooting/

For specifics on what this update include, visit this page: http://www.vectorworks.net/downloads/notes/2017SP2_Notes

• Like 1
8 hours ago, zoomer said:

Normally I do so immediately,
but currently it is more critical to me to first know if VW 2016 will run.
The other problem is that Sierra contains nothing that I miss but a few things I do not want to have at all .....

Let's see how long I can hold myself.

Hey Zoomer - out of interest, which things do you not want to have at all?  Seems like quite a small release (like iOS 10 - despite what Apple claim "our biggest update ever" - yeah right.  They always say that)

Edited by Andrew Davies
9 hours ago, Andrew Davies said:

Hey Zoomer - out of interest, which things do you not want to have at all?  Seems like quite a small release (like iOS 10 - despite what Apple claim "our biggest update ever" - yeah right.  They always say that)

I don't want Siri on my Desktop.
I even refuse to talk with her on my iPad. I'm afraid of her :)
Data on iCloud + deleting local files (not an issue if it is document's folder only, not activated by default)
A cleanup feature that will skip waste bin.

I didn't heard of any feature I will need so far,
so I just didn't really look into it, to have enough clue if Sierra will bad or not.
But first reviews weren't that positive.

@zoomer- you neglected to mention giant emoji. xD

The one MacOS Sierra feature that might be useful is the ability for third-party applications to have tabbed windows, just like any web browser, and much like was just introduced in Vw2017.

But other than that, I agree with you and there's not much for me to get excited about - especially at the risk of breaking incompatible applications.

Edited by rDesign
  • Like 1

I didn't think Siri on the Mac would be a big deal...but so far, I'm using it a lot more than I thought I would.  iCloud documents is great...might even move some of my primary project folders to iCloud from Dropbox.

Overall, I think Sierra is really good...and under-rated...but to each his own.

VW2017 still cranking away...no issues so far.

39 minutes ago, Will Roland said:

iCloud documents is great...might even move some of my primary project folders to iCloud from Dropbox.

Yes of course.
I curently just don't understand how everything works and what is on by default.
I don't want to upgrade and see that Apple moved my Parallels VM's from local to iCloud and such things.
I want to know if I can deactivate Siri completely. If you don't have a relationship with her, why should I want to have
my microphone listen all the time and those things.
(My MacPro having no mic (at least that I know) and camera may help)

2 hours ago, zoomer said:

Yes of course.
I curently just don't understand how everything works and what is on by default.
I don't want to upgrade and see that Apple moved my Parallels VM's from local to iCloud and such things.
I want to know if I can deactivate Siri completely. If you don't have a relationship with her, why should I want to have
my microphone listen all the time and those things.
(My MacPro having no mic (at least that I know) and camera may help)

Siri can be enabled or disabled with one check box (enabled by default).  Also, you have to use a keystroke to talk to Siri anyway...it isn't listening all the time (like Alexa).

My Parallels VM is still in my Documents folder after the upgrade (it doesn't get moved), but it isn't in iCloud.  In the Finder there is a new column (disabled by default) that shows the iCloud status.  Maybe because the VM file is a package, or that it's too large...but even though it's in the documents folder, it's not in the cloud.  Also, I'm pretty sure you can change the default Parallels VM location, so I don't think this is an issue.  Also, you can disable this feature completely.

• Like 1

Thanks Will,

that helps a lot !

But iCloud usage is on by default ?
There was one other issue with the cleaning feature I read on a well known computer news site.
Some users were talking about that feature deleting large files that were even currently in use
and no space problems at all.
I would like to deactivate that before it does anything.

PS:
I do have nearly no data at all in default Documents Folder.
Just things like VM's or EyeTV cache file. So only things that could cause problems :)

Is Documents Folder the only Folder effected ?

8 minutes ago, zoomer said:

Thanks Will,

that helps a lot !

But iCloud usage is on by default ?
There was one other issue with the cleaning feature I read on a well known computer news site.
Some users were talking about that feature deleting large files that were even currently in use
and no space problems at all.
I would like to deactivate that before it does anything.

PS:
I do have nearly no data at all in default Documents Folder.
Just things like VM's or EyeTV cache file. So only things that could cause problems :)

Is Documents Folder the only Folder effected ?

Yes, iCloud storage is on by default, but it's easy enough to disable.  In the iCloud Drive preference pane, there is a checkbox for "Documents & Desktop".  I haven't had any problems with files disappearing or other strange behavior.

Right now, only the Documents and Desktop folders are impacted...

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Original post updated with the following:

"We know many of our users are eager to update to macOS Sierra 10.12, especially since the update is offered for free. However, as it is a major OS upgrade we ask that you please proceed with caution. 

So far, we have not found any major issues related to running Vectorworks 2017 on MacOS 10.12, however we have found some slowdowns when opening files saved in previous Vectorworks versions, as well as some user interface inconsistencies that we feel need to be addressed. 

Once we complete acceptance testing on the release build of mac OS 10.12 to determine compatibility we will issue a statement as soon as possible.

For the time being, we do not recommend upgrading to macOS 10.12 Sierra. "

• Like 1

I inherited a late 2009 iMac:  3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3; ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB

I wiped it out and installed Sierra. Now I cannot install the student version of Vectorworks.  When I execute the Vectorworks install program, the icon does the normal start routine (a vectorworks icon appears on the desktop jumps up and down a couple of times) and then the icon disappears and nothing happens.   I upgraded from El Capitan because I was having problems with another CAD program.  Apple Care tells me that Vectorworks software is not compatible with Sierra.  My hope is to take the computer into the Genius bar and have them reinstall El Capitan.  From what I read here, it may be a problem with the install feature.  I deleted the download file and started over.  I get the same results. The program has not been installed.  

Edited by Anthony Reilly
3 hours ago, Anthony Reilly said:

I inherited a late 2009 iMac:  3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3; ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB

I wiped it out and installed Sierra. Now I cannot install the student version of Vectorworks.  When I execute the Vectorworks install program, the icon does the normal start routine (a vectorworks icon appears on the desktop jumps up and down a couple of times) and then the icon disappears and nothing happens.   I upgraded from El Capitan because I was having problems with another CAD program.  Apple Care tells me that Vectorworks software is not compatible with Sierra.  My hope is to take the computer into the Genius bar and have them reinstall El Capitan.  From what I read here, it may be a problem with the install feature.  I deleted the download file and started over.  I get the same results. The program has not been installed.  

Interesting...for reference, here is my experience.

When VW2017 was released, I installed it on my mid-2014 Retina MacBook Pro 15" with El Capitan.  I was (and still am) running VW2016 and VW2017.

Installed macOS Sierra on release day.  Both VW2016 and VW2017 ran the same on Sierra as they did on El Capitan as far as I could tell.

I was keeping a running bug list for VW2017 BEFORE I installed Sierra.  Bugs that I found, where a direct comparison could be made to VW2016, did not change in Sierra. In other words, bugs/non-expected behavior in VW2017 did not change when I updated to Sierra, they were there before.  Further, the same files in VW2016 on Sierra did not exhibit the bugs/non-expected behavior.

I am running VW2017 (and VW2016) on macOS Sierra on my production machine with active projects, 14 hours a day with no problems whatsoever, except for the bugs noted above.

HOWEVER!!!  I defer to the developer's recommendation NOT to install Sierra until it is supported.

• Like 2

I have installed Sierra and after the installation I couldn't import a jpg anymore as an 1-bit PNG in my Vectorworks 2016.

It remains 32 bit and therefore I cannot change it's color as I used to do.

Same thing happens to VWX 2017 Test Version.

VectorWorks 2013 still works without a problem.

Furthermore the plans which have already 1-bit Pngs in them although they show correctly on the screen when I try to export the plan as 

PDF the 1-bit PNGs show only B&W.

I'm using a iMac 27'' 16 GB RAM, mid 2013

Anyone else has the same problem?

3 hours ago, JimW said:

Nonspecific to, but of interest to Vectorworks users; I have many users and beta testers reporting problems and incompatibilities with Canon printers after the macOS 10.12 upgrade as well.

People having problems printing to Canon printers should publish to PDF or print to PDF and then use an app like Preview to print. I have not upgraded yet, but I am itching to do so.