Reference Marker Link to Viewport

Andy Broomell

Question

I love that manually-created Section-Elevation Lines and Detail Callout Markers have a field in the OIP called "Link to Viewport" that lets you choose which Viewport they're referencing. This allows you to change the Viewport's drawing number or move it between sheets and not worry about going back to all these markers to make sure they match. This definitely helps you avoid mistakes while drafting.

Why doesn't the Reference Marker tool have this same functionality? Even after 2017, a release which saw some attention given to drawing coordination, this tool is still not cohesive with the rest. We still have to manually update the Drawing Number and Sheet Number if the view the Reference Marker is related to changes.

I really hope this is fixed for 2018, and that attention continues to be given to consistency and uniformity across tools (which I'm glad we saw the beginnings of in 2017).

• Like 4

5 answers to this question

Yes. This!

I've been using a combo of reference markers grouped with the detail-callout marker to get the look I want and the functionality of linked viewports. I scale a detail-callout marker to the same size as my reference marker and then set the attribute fill to none and 0 lineweight. This leaves me with the linked text sitting on top of my reference marker. 

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, astephens13 said:

Yes. This!

I've been using a combo of reference markers grouped with the detail-callout marker to get the look I want and the functionality of linked viewports. I scale a detail-callout marker to the same size as my reference marker and then set the attribute fill to none and 0 lineweight. This leaves me with the linked text sitting on top of my reference marker. 

Vectorworkaround! :)