Spotlight Instrument Y rotation broken in 2017

markdd

Question

Has the Y rotation of the Spotlight Instrument Tool  been changed? It now rotates the instrument around the Z axis which is surely what the instrument rotation field is for. This could actually be a really useful addition but could it be labelled Z rotation and please put back the Y rotation to the way it has been working for a few years now. Apart from anything else, this makes the "Create Plot and Model" command far less useful. This is bad news for me if this is seen as an improvement not least because drawings created using it do not display correctly in 2017 and will need to be opened in earlier versions of the software which I am sure is not the point of the annual upgrade.

As you can see from the attached file, when drawing a boom of lights it is often desirable to draw them at an angle (say 30°) so that the labels display clearly and the fixtures don't overlap in 2D and it was always possible to adjust the X and Y axis to bring the fixture back to a true hanging orientation like the example on Boom-1. This is now impossible because of this new bug. I would be grateful if this can be fixed.

Many thanks

Untitled_1.vwx

Edited by markdd
edit
  • Like 1

16 answers to this question

Thanks Jim

I don't see how it can be working "as designed" when it is working differently to the way it has done in all the versions of the software since the feature was introduced! I have used the feature extensively for a few years now. Maybe they should check again!!?

I will submit a bug report over the weekend.

Mark

I'd be very interested to hear the explanation of how the new way is "as designed". The Y Rotation has worked predictably the same since Lighting Device 3D Orientation was introduced (I believe with VW 2008, so 9 years/versions now).

As Mark said, Device Rotation and Y Rotation control exactly the same thing now. Rotation rotates around the Z axis, X rotates around X, and Y now rotates around Z instead of Y?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

That's the master plan! You will start to see more of that as time goes on I think. The Cloud and Webview teams will probably be first just due to the nature of their structures, but I hope to become redundant as the pros visit the forums more and more often. I know a little about a lot but my ignorance really starts to show in the more advanced and/or industry specific topics like Lighting Design, BIM, IFC, Site Design, etc and I hope our professionals here can be used to supplement my limited ability.

• Like 1

I just found this "design feature"  The tech support people say the engineers changed it and that it is part of other changes.  The work around he gave me to have a sideways raked fixture is to rotate the body 90 from the rotation in the OIP, then to do a Y rotate in the 3d rotation box at the bottom of the OIP.  the problem with this is that the fixture is no 90 deg off from the truss or pipe and with no focus points the fixtures look funny from front views.