Battlestations

1 minute ago, RGyori said:

Careful what you wish for... might not be so much fun after 8 hours of arm waving.. err finger dragging. I'm old enough  to remember how much I relied on the old drafting table for support during those long nights!:D

agreed.  I saw an ad for this a while ago and I just found myself thinking, "wow....that looks like it'd be VIOLENTLY uncomfortable to work with for any serious length of time."

30 minutes ago, Tom Klaber said:

ha.  It seems according to the video - all you can really do is rotate and zoom... cool none the less.

Well... Graebert claims that their Ares Touch for tablets has a userinterface which allows for reasonably precise drafting as it autozooms when snapping etc. so one day this might be the norm for 2D drafting

Though mouse/tablet (wacom style) and keyboard will probably be more effective for 3D etc. Plus you can't put your caffeine on this digital desk, so that is a major downside. :D

Edited by Art V
1 minute ago, Benjamin Weill said:

agreed.  I saw an ad for this a while ago and I just found myself thinking, "wow....that looks like it'd be VIOLENTLY uncomfortable to work with for any serious length of time."

Spot on. Looks great on the evening news but the prospect of a touch screen desktop CAD monitor, even a modest sized one, would not be very practical. Excuse me while I rest with my elbow on the desk while pondering further responses...

13 minutes ago, JimW said:

But if we combine the screen with this chair... 

best-gaming-chair.jpg

Perhaps we were so preoccupied as to whether we could, that we never stopped to think on if we should!

Combine it with maglev and autopilot and you could start/continue working when you leave from/for home to/from the office. "People Managers"  would love the increased efficiency O.o

(In case you are wondering, there are motorscooters available that look very similar to this chair minus the computer stuff, though you would have to do the driving yourself, add Tesla autopilot and...)

Edited by Art V

Forgive me if this is further yet off topic but in the spirit of discussing rapid technological changes leading to unintended consequences...

http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/news/news/2016/2016-06-14-community-guidance-street-lighting.page

Needless to say, so I will, the vast majority of our workstation monitors are now LED lit. Furthermore latest code based energy standards in commercial buildings (Title 24 in California) virtually mandate the use of lE  lighting for all interior office spaces... unless your desk is along a window line of course. 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
6 minutes ago, RGyori said:

Forgive me if this is further yet off topic but in the spirit of discussing rapid technological changes leading to unintended consequences...

http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/news/news/2016/2016-06-14-community-guidance-street-lighting.page

Needless to say, so I will, the vast majority of our workstation monitors are now LED lit. Furthermore latest code based energy standards in commercial buildings (Title 24 in California) virtually mandate the use of lE  lighting for all interior office spaces... unless your desk is along a window line of course. 

I completely believe and agree with this. I was having a lot of trouble sleeping recently, and then realized after the power went out one night how very many small blue status/power LEDs were constantly on and glowing in my room, from things like my PC, monitor, TV, external HDDs, clocks, etc. I covered them all with a small bit of tape and ever since I've been sleeping like a dead rock.

I also use an app on my TV (Which is just a computer on a big screen we play Netflix on really) to slide the color balance away from blue and closer to yellow and I find I fall asleep much sooner as well. The display is set to time out after no one touches it for a few hours. Ideally the TV would be completely off but there are some battles I pick with my wife and this was not one of them.

It can seem silly, but it was absolutely true in my case.

38 minutes ago, JimW said:

I completely believe and agree with this. I was having a lot of trouble sleeping recently, and then realized after the power went out one night how very many small blue status/power LEDs were constantly on and glowing in my room, from things like my PC, monitor, TV, external HDDs, clocks, etc. I covered them all with a small bit of tape and ever since I've been sleeping like a dead rock.

I also use an app on my TV (Which is just a computer on a big screen we play Netflix on really) to slide the color balance away from blue and closer to yellow and I find I fall asleep much sooner as well. The display is set to time out after no one touches it for a few hours. Ideally the TV would be completely off but there are some battles I pick with my wife and this was not one of them.

It can seem silly, but it was absolutely true in my case.

A live rock would be really creepy.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Tom Klaber said:

There are a bunch of new apps that strip out the blue on your phones and tablets for us bed phoners.  

[OT]

For those of us with iOS 9 devices, there is an OS setting to automatically schedule shifting the display to a warmer color temperature:

Settings > Display & Brightness > Night Shift

[/OT]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...