Unsupported Error when Importing rfa in VW 2017

rgcn

Question

Has anyone been able to successfully import a revit file into VW 2017?  I have downloaded a couple revit files which appear to be in a 2009 and 2010 format of mechanical air handling units to put into my Vectorworks Model.  I downloaded these from the manufacturer's website.  In both cases, I get a dialogue box pop up "This version of Revit file is not supported"

Is there any particular parameters needed from the revit file to be able to successfully import it?  Like minimum or maximum version?

It would be neat to see any small revit files shared that people have been able to successfully import.

Cheers,

Rob

20 answers to this question

I have managed to download and sport a manufacturer's file (tried the Velux) and it seems to work - very disappointed with the result though imported as a wireframe model with no attributes (editable or otherwise) - less detail than an ifc import.  I did however try and download the 2 sample rvt files (basic sample project and advanced sample project) from the Autodesk website and both failed to open - VW just hung.

Question, Is there a file size restriction with revit import, as this could cause problems if I want to say to my Revit clients that I can now work with the whole team without having to force them to export to ifc (which does not go down well.  Also - why is it only import and not import/export (ArchiCAD has both).

Kevin.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
2 hours ago, Kevin C said:

Also - why is it only import and not import/export (ArchiCAD has both).

Apparently this is a limitation of the ODA library version we use, but we plan to add any capabilities they allow as soon as we can.

In general though, very often we get import before we get export since there are so many more object types in Vectorworks on average than in other formats, it's easier to map types one to one on the way in than on the way out.

I am having major difficulties importing large (100+ meg files) Revit files.  I know I had posted something about this as well and it is in the wish list (ability to manage the Revit imports).  But do you have issues with VW running after you get the Revit imported?  After about 25-30 mins of waiting for VW to import the Revit file, the program is super slow to do anything.  Even just zooming in and out.  I have to just close VW and as of now I am not able to utilize this function.  Am I doing something wrong?  Thoughts?

I haven't been able to import anything other than a manufacturer's product file as yet.  The files I tried to import were around 15MB and VW just hung without importing them completely.

What I have found with the graphics problem is that as soon as I seem to have an issue with odd fills and lines appearing and disappearing, losing zoom function - in other words complete hang-up of VW. I have to save the file, quit and restart VW and everything is OK.

There is obviously a problem somewhere, and I think it is related to the graphics module.

I am Stil unable to import any revit file apart form the smallest manufacturer's block.  I have attached a standard file I received from a Revit trainer who I know but I still cannot open it - It just hangs at "importing elements - 99%"

Can anyone else try and see if they can - Or is it just me??

(Included as a zip file as the uploader won't accept revit files.

rac_basic_sample_project.zip

This is what I got.  Took 20 secs to get to 99%.  At 99% the screen goes black and program goes unresponsive.  The file is good - I opened it in Revit.  So that is not an issue.  I am not sure why this one doesn't work.  It is a set of drawings, site plans, house/bldg.  I renamed the file to "test" to see if that would help and the same issue.  It just stops at 99%.  I left it alone for 15/20  mins and nothing happened.  I would like to stay on top of this and work on it more to help out and figure out how to get this to work better!!!  Ill post updates if anything changes on my end.    

On September 19, 2016 at 2:51 AM, Kevin C said:

I have managed to download and sport a manufacturer's file (tried the Velux) and it seems to work - very disappointed with the result though imported as a wireframe model with no attributes (editable or otherwise) - less detail than an ifc import.  I did however try and download the 2 sample rvt files (basic sample project and advanced sample project) from the Autodesk website and both failed to open - VW just hung.

I successfully imported a few Revit families from the NanaWall website, but I was also disappointed to see that they were wireframe only so they don't show up as solid meshes in OpenGL. Then I tried to convert one part of it to a Generic Solid and it wouldn't let me.

Importing any Revit files larger than 1MB seems to take a loooong time. I imported a 13MB sample file ('rac_advanced_sample_project.rvt') from Revit Architecture 2014, and it took more than 30 minutes to load. When it finally did load,  the orientation was all messed up: it appeared to be rotated -90d on the X-axis so that Top / Plan was the front. Some of the elements did come in Solid, not Wireframe.

The saved .VWX file was 591MB (original Revit file was 13MB). Over 45x file size increase.

Navigating around is painfully slow....

At this point I'm not sure how useful this feature is going to be. It sure doesn't feel like it will make up for any manufacturer offering BIM files only in Revit family format.

Edited by rDesign
7 hours ago, Kevin C said:

I am Stil unable to import any revit file apart form the smallest manufacturer's block.  I have attached a standard file I received from a Revit trainer who I know but I still cannot open it - It just hangs at "importing elements - 99%"

Can anyone else try and see if they can - Or is it just me??

(Included as a zip file as the uploader won't accept revit files.

rac_basic_sample_project.zip

Ahm .... how long will it take to load that file into VW ?
(or should I better try to cancel ?)

34 minutes ago, JimW said:

Word from engineering: The attached file was Revit version 2009 and we can only import Revit 2011 through Revit 2017. 

@JimW- it would probably be helpful if this 2011-2017 restriction were added to the Help File (I submitted feedback requesting this on the Help File page about Import Revit), and the Import Revit error dialogue provided better info than the current Teigha error.

Edited by rDesign