Callout Tool is all screwy in 2017

Jeremiah Russell

Question

So, downloaded VW Architect 2017 yesterday (very excited). Been in it last two days and my callout tool is all screwy. When I try to place a callout to the right hand side of an object it automatically moves the callout to the left side (basically a mirror). Also, when I try to place an angled leader line, to either direction, once I'm done with text it automatically straightens the leader line moving away from the object I'm notating. Anyone else have this issue?

25 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
17 hours ago, Jeremiah Russell said:

So, downloaded VW Architect 2017 yesterday (very excited). Been in it last two days and my callout tool is all screwy. When I try to place a callout to the right hand side of an object it automatically moves the callout to the left side (basically a mirror). Also, when I try to place an angled leader line, to either direction, once I'm done with text it automatically straightens the leader line moving away from the object I'm notating. Anyone else have this issue?

Hello Jeremiah,

I've never seen this happen. Is this a file specific problem or does it happen in any file?

34 minutes ago, JimW said:

The same happens in the new blank 2017s docs as well?

Jim, I opened a blank 2017 document and was not able to duplicate the issue. It seems to be an issue with 2016 files that are imported to 2017. Since I have A LOT of active projects in 2016 that I'd like to get moved over I hope this is an issue that can be easily resolved.

I have also discovered that my template file, when opened in 2017, has the same issue with the callout tool. Not cool. I really don't want to have to recreate my entire template file.

Edited by Jeremiah Russell

Once the bug is marked as fixed it gets a version-fixed-in note in our tracking software depending on how indepth the fix is. There is no real average time since the complexities can be all over the place, but best case 1 month, worst case usually the next full version release. If it's file specific, often the fix in the short term is layer importing into a new blank file to regenerate everything:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/790/Layer+Import

3 minutes ago, JimW said:

Once the bug is marked as fixed it gets a version-fixed-in note in our tracking software depending on how indepth the fix is. There is no real average time since the complexities can be all over the place, but best case 1 month, worst case usually the next full version release. If it's file specific, often the fix in the short term is layer importing into a new blank file to regenerate everything:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/790/Layer+Import

Jim, thanks. This issue is not file specific. It is version specific. All 2016 files that I open in 2017 have this issue. I've verified this with a half dozen different files as well as my 2016 template file. 

When importing layers, does the same hold true for sheets? I.e., do I do that in the same operation, or is it separate?

If it does not happen in new blank files in 2017, the issue is related to either the files themselves, or the file import process, so it gets flagged "File Specific". It's just terminology for identifying the source of trouble for bugs.

Unfortunately no, sheet layers do not import via those steps.

2 minutes ago, Jeremiah Russell said:

That's great. How long does it usually take to issue a patch like that?

That's not easy to answer. ;-)

First, it needs to be determined that it IS in fact a bug. while it seems obvious that it is a bug, there could be some sort of file corruption (or something else) causing it. Since this is a file specific problem, this could be the case. If it is the case, I'll see if we can come up with any tricks to fix files that have the problem. If it is determined to be a bug, I still cannot offer any sort of ETA. Some bugs that seem like they should have an easy fix can wind up taking a very long time (and vise versa).

• Like 1

I have this same issue.  We have upgraded to 2017 and when I open my old files in 2017 all the arrows go away on the callout tool.  If I open a new file in 2017 and use the callout tool it works only if I keep it on line.  If I change to arch (our office standard) the arrow goes away.  Is there a fix?  This will cause lots of problems in our documents.

callout.png

Edited by Kristin Fogarty-Yi

Thanks for the work around but in my office we only use VW for 2d drawings in plan view.  Switching to OpenGL to show the arrows is problematic.  The issue is not only on the callout tool, but also on the arc tool.  It is not just in files converted from 2016 but also from new files created in 2017.  Does VW plan on releasing an update to 2017 to fix this issue or do I need to have my whole office switch the way we do notes on our drawings?

4 minutes ago, Kristin Fogarty-Yi said:

Thanks for the work around but in my office we only use VW for 2d drawings in plan view.  Switching to OpenGL to show the arrows is problematic.  The issue is not only on the callout tool, but also on the arc tool.  It is not just in files converted from 2016 but also from new files created in 2017.  Does VW plan on releasing an update to 2017 to fix this issue or do I need to have my whole office switch the way we do notes on our drawings?

Does the same issue occur after using Layer Import to bring everything into a new blank file?

JimW,  

I have the same issues in a brand new 2017 file.  If I open up a new file draw and arc or use the callout tool with an arc and an arrow end, they do not appear.  Sometimes when scrolling in and out you can see them ghost.  I have tried clicking on and off the arrow head in the object info pallet, changing the arrow head, etc.  Sometimes it will appear and then go away when I scroll.  Sometimes it will appear in the design layer, but not in the viewport or when I export a PDF.  There is no constancy.  The attached image shows the callout tool i the design layer in brand new file in 2017 on the left and the exported PDF on the right.  You can see the callout looses it's arrow heads when exported.

Any other form of the callout tool seems to work fine.

Screen Shot 2017-01-09 at 2.02.58 PM.png

There are definitely some other issues with the callout tool. In a new VW2017 file, sometimes when adjusting the leader arrow, these weird artifacts appear. (This happens on windows & MAC) See below.

Also, after placing the callout, moving the leader arrow does not snap to angles, so you can't get a vertical leader for example.  And in VW2016 you could mirror a callout so that the text was on the other side - not in VW2017.

Callout Artifacts.JPG

I find the same problem in a brand new file.
First image is after zooming in (when the , 2nd one is after click dragging the lower callout, which also turned of the arrowhead on the upper one.

Ironically, this may be due to an upgrade of the callout tool.  
I didn't realize the capacity for additional leader lines had been added, something on my wish list for years.

Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 4.50.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 4.50.33 PM.png