2017 Slab / Slab Drainage Tool improvements Q/A Thread

zoomer

I see that my former 2016 Multi Component Slabs do change after 2017 conversion.

Mainly the "Outer Face of Core" Setting was lost and gets ignored, no matter what I set there.
Now I have holes in Sections or Clip Cubes. Can't repair that.

I recently realized that I can not only bound Walls to outer Slab Boundary but also
additional to closed Interior Wall Areas. That Worked Well in 2016.
(For Example I have my square Roof Slab + bound all Walls around Roof Openings)

So my Question is,
was that Multiple Boundary by Walls, including interior Walls, that worked for me ever intended
to be used that way ?
Or did I exceed that Tool and caused potential problems anyway ?

Is this just a Bug but and beside a recommended Workflow with the new Tool ?

Edited by zoomer
Guest Wes Gardner

Hi All,

I'll need to do a couple of tests and to clarify, I'll test with 2017 native walls and slabs.  We'll then see what's up there before looking at files that have been brought forward.

Wes

Guest Wes Gardner

Hi Zoomer,

I did a test in 2017 and I CAN choose to have a slab component bind to "Outer Face of Wall Core" as you can see in the section detail.  I also did a test drawing four walls and a slab in 2016, assigning a slab component to "Outer Face of Wall Core" and then brought that file forward to 2017.  All appeared to be OK.  I could change the association to something else and change it back to "Outer face of Wall Core" and everything seemed to "hang in there."

I need to ask for clarification on the remainder of your question

"I recently realized that I can not only bound Walls to outer Slab Boundary but also
additional to closed Interior Wall Areas. That Worked Well in 2016.
(For Example I have my square Roof Slab + bound all Walls around Roof Openings)

So my Question is,
was that Multiple Boundary by Walls, including interior Walls, that worked for me ever intended
to be used that way ?
Or did I exceed that Tool and caused potential problems anyway ?"

Maybe a small example file or screen shot(s)

Wes

Screen Shot 2016-09-16 at 9.39.38 AM.png

Thanks Wes !
here is what I did :

"Complex" Auto Boundary creation

My Skylights in the Roof
(once created as Custom Elements by Extrude along Path which are hardly to edit for changes)
were re-created using Styled Walls to keep everything as much parametric and BIM as possible.

And as I was annoyed by the need to create the openings with many 2D Geometries for different
Slab Components and the unergonomic way to modify these in Modificator's Sub Edit Mode,
(Environmental Geometry invisible to snap to, no differentiation between Geometry cutting the
whole Slab or just certain Components, ....)
I came to the idea to test what will happen if you recreate the Auto Boundary by just picking all Walls,
including the inner Boundaries - and that worked unexpectedly :

Screenshot-16.jpg

VW 2016 : Multi Component Slab bound to Attic Wall + each Opening's surrounding 4 Walls

Screenshot-15.jpg

VW 2016 : Section Viewport (Merge Adjacent Components off) to show that it worked.

Slab is set to "Outer side of Wall Core" for the concrete Core only, "Inner Side of Wall" for secondary Components like Insulation.
Outer Main Attic Walls should be clear. Special Skylight Walls are meant to have Sheet Metal around the Insulation (Core).
So all Walls sit on top of the Slab Core while the inner Sheet Metal reaches over the thickness of the Slab Opening to bottom of Slab.

Converted to VW 2017, all of my Slabs Cores lost or better ignored their "Outer side of Wall Core" and physically changed to
"Inner Side of Wall" like the secondary Slab Components. Boundary was reset to "Manual"
Any try to change the Slab Cores Boundary Option does not work or change anything.
Trying to simply recreate a new Auto Boundary for the Slab by picking all Walls again fails by ignoring different Boundary Distances
against different Wall Components or even to cutting the Slab's Core at all.

I think the 2016/2017 compatibility problems here, result on the fact that 2017 isn't compatible with "Complex" Auto Boundary creation.

So again my Question, were these "Complex" Auto Boundary creations ever designed to use in Slab Tool,
or was it just a Bug that it allowed my misuse in VW 2016.
Nevertheless I think that behavior was pretty handy :)

Edited by zoomer

I see Complex Boundary usage in V2017 still works well with SINGLE component Walls and Slabs.

If that will work with multi component from scratch too,
not working for me may have to do with me having some components set to have no fill or transparent,
like the Air Gap in my Wall Style.
That made problems with even Wall Joining either !

Edit :

I see that it works in V2017 with 3 openings and 2-Component Walls and Slabs.
But not in my special case with 6 openings and up to 5 Components per Wall (!?)

Edited by zoomer

Strange,
it does work like a charm in the left (single comp) and middle example (double comp).
But it will not work on my current roof slab (multi comp).
I see that there always does appear a "Edit Modifiers" in RMB Menue, although there are no Modifiers,
for my roof, opposed the left and middle version.

Screenshot-20.jpg

I attached a test file :

Untitled 1.vwx

I tried everything,
including adding manual Modifiers for the openings. That will bring back all openings but kill separate bounding.
With auto bounding only, Edit Boundary 2D Geometry looks correct but the 3D geometry will only have 1 hole
for the "last" opening .... like in the current example

• 1 month later...
On 20.9.2016 at 3:22 PM, Wes Gardner said:

@ Zoomer,

I think I'd file a bug on this and have the Engineering Team respond with the "rules."

Wes

Hmmh, something has changed indeed.

I am now (SP1) able to successfully :

auto-bound the Slab to outer Walls + Create Hole Modifiers per Components for my Skylights.

Was this the Bug ?

Have you been able to also "bound" the inner Walls to create the holes inside automatically and

control boundaries per component ?

I was afraid testing and potentially destroying my fragile new setup. :S

(not 100% parametric for future changes as it is now, but correct geometry so far)