Assign to layer BUG

EAlexander

Question

I can crash VW2017 on my system every time by moving and object from one layer to another via the OIP.  This is happening with 3D objects in files picked up from 2016.  

To test, I made a new 2017 document, made two layers, drew a rectangle on one, and when I change it's layer via OIP, instant crash.  So what exactly is the best way to report this with system and OS specs to tech?

Thanks,

e.

• Like 1

This is a known issue and I was given a fix by a member of VW support staff. Basically it's a plugin that gets corrupted on installation that needs to be re pasted into the plugins folder. 

Perhaps you should contact him directly JAlmansa@vectorworks.net or message me directly and I'll forward his email to you which explains the fix. (not sure it's good practice to just paste the email here?)

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Looks to have been a problem happening during installation, a plugin becomes corrupt with a particular combination of OS and serial number type which explains why it didn't get caught in testing. I do not have the files need (I'll see about getting them for public posting to make this quicker) but contact tech@vectorworks.net and we will get you sorted out.

A fix for this will ALSO be in an upcoming service pack but we can get everyone having problems handled right away, there is no need to wait.

Seems like this issue was caused by a plugin becoming corrupted during installation. Any users that download the latest version of the installer (As of this post Installer 29 Build 327801, you can find the installer version number of your downloaded Zip or DMG file, on launch day it was version 26) will no longer encounter this bug. The Build number of Vectorworks will not be different, since the issue was with the installer and not the build of Vectorworks itself.

For users that are currently experiencing this problem, you should contact Tech Support directly for a manual fix.

Reinstalling with the newer installer version is also an option, the issue was in the Application folder itself so you can back up your vw preferences folder and restore it after reinstalling to avoid having to re-customize anything:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/885/Backing+Up+Vectorworks+Preferences

However, reinstalling would take much longer, so I recommend contacting Tech Support directly:

http://www.vectorworks.net/support

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, crosetti said:

Hello,

In 2017, Moving any object to another layer via object info palette crashes VW 2017 every time ... EVERY time.

Is this a known issue or specific to me? Any Fixes? 

Thanks!

Merged into main thread, Tech@vectorworks.net should be able to get you sorted out.

1 minute ago, sparky said:

When I edit a viewport properties from the Navigation Pallet to change the sheet layer a VP is on, VW crashes.  This is with my template file I brought in from 2016.  Anyone else seeing this?

Merged into main thread, this will be patched, but you can contact Tech Support directly and they can get you sorted out in the meantime.

2 hours ago, Mike Wright said:

couldn't find a bug submission area so here's my problem

When changing the layer of an Audio Tools speaker array the program crashes 

Windows 10 64Bit

Merged into main thread, Tech Support should be able to get you squared away.