EAlexander

Assign to layer BUG

Question

I can crash VW2017 on my system every time by moving and object from one layer to another via the OIP.  This is happening with 3D objects in files picked up from 2016.  

To test, I made a new 2017 document, made two layers, drew a rectangle on one, and when I change it's layer via OIP, instant crash.  So what exactly is the best way to report this with system and OS specs to tech?

Thanks,

e.

• Like 1

Glad I'm not the only one! Good idea on cut and paste in place. I feel like the time saved using the search function makes up for the extra time of moving things between layers at the moment. I hope there is a fix available within the week,

This is a known issue and I was given a fix by a member of VW support staff. Basically it's a plugin that gets corrupted on installation that needs to be re pasted into the plugins folder. 

Perhaps you should contact him directly JAlmansa@vectorworks.net or message me directly and I'll forward his email to you which explains the fix. (not sure it's good practice to just paste the email here?)

• Like 1

So it sounds like there's a fix already for this? Hopefully a Service Pack will be released ASAP to fix it.

Looks to have been a problem happening during installation, a plugin becomes corrupt with a particular combination of OS and serial number type which explains why it didn't get caught in testing. I do not have the files need (I'll see about getting them for public posting to make this quicker) but contact tech@vectorworks.net and we will get you sorted out.

A fix for this will ALSO be in an upcoming service pack but we can get everyone having problems handled right away, there is no need to wait.

Hello,

In 2017, Moving any object to another layer via object info palette crashes VW 2017 every time ... EVERY time.

Is this a known issue or specific to me? Any Fixes? 

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, crosetti said:

Hello,

In 2017, Moving any object to another layer via object info palette crashes VW 2017 every time ... EVERY time.

Is this a known issue or specific to me? Any Fixes? 

Thanks!

Merged into main thread, Tech@vectorworks.net should be able to get you sorted out.

You could try using the layer tab in the navigation palette. Right click on the layer you want the object to go to and select "assign to selection"  from the pop-up menu. That may solve your problem for now until they've fixed the issue in the OIP.

When I edit a viewport properties from the Navigation Pallet to change the sheet layer a VP is on, VW crashes.  This is with my template file I brought in from 2016.  Anyone else seeing this?

1 minute ago, sparky said:

When I edit a viewport properties from the Navigation Pallet to change the sheet layer a VP is on, VW crashes.  This is with my template file I brought in from 2016.  Anyone else seeing this?

Merged into main thread, this will be patched, but you can contact Tech Support directly and they can get you sorted out in the meantime.

now if I move an object to a different layer via the OIP Vectorworks crashes and shuts down.

Again - this is already a known bug.

Edited by rDesign

@grant_PD Please do not keep starting new threads about this. Try to keep everything pertaining to an already known issue categorized similarly. 

Merging this thread with the main thread again.

couldn't find a bug submission area so here's my problem

When changing the layer of an Audio Tools speaker array the program crashes 

Windows 10 64Bit

2 hours ago, Mike Wright said:

couldn't find a bug submission area so here's my problem

When changing the layer of an Audio Tools speaker array the program crashes 

Windows 10 64Bit

Merged into main thread, Tech Support should be able to get you squared away.

In every file I open in 2017 the simple task of changing the design layer which an object is on causes the program to quit. Is anyone else having this problem?

This was a big problem when 2017 was introduced a couple of months or so ago. It was fixed with the service pack that was released soon after. When did you download the software?

Mark

Hey Mark. Just seeing this response. I thought I was updated but apparently not on my laptop. It went away once I downloaded SP2.

Thanks!

Matt

• Like 1