File / Project Info

zoomer

Question

I vote for advanced Project Info in File.

All Project Info Data needed which can be and managed at one place.
Like Geographic Location and Elevation of the Site, Authors and Office Adresses,
Project description, ....

So that these things can be used as the default settings when creating Heliodons,
for IFC Exports, for Energos, for Sheet Borders, .....

Edited by zoomer
  • Like 3

21 answers to this question

After 20+ years I'm sick them stenciling titleblocks. So I'd like something/anything that really improves workflow in this regards to keep project info neat and co-ordinated.

If "plug-in styles" was universally applied to the system wouldn't the Resource Browser become in effect a Project Data Home. One that would be flexible enough to suit different projects styles and workflows in vectorworks even if it isn't the neatest more logical interface.

I'll go a step further.
All Project related Info stored in File Information.
All User/Office Information even stored in VW Preferences, Workgroup or Project Folders Information.

For those that will provide such information only, of course :)
I didn't meant VW to grab data from the Adress Book or License Info or so ....

Edited by zoomer

Yes that would be a useful option to have, as long as there is also an option to include or exclude this information on a per drawing/title block/whatever uses this info basis.

e.g. for when a file contains sheet layers for both internal and external use and you don't want some info to show up in one or the other.

5 hours ago, zoomer said:

Couldn't you also use a set of drawing Block Duplicates including all your "privacy" settings in one.
Where you delete or edit the formulas that will feed the fields ?
Maybe an even more advanced setup ?

Beside, options to locally overwrite things generally welcome.

Yes, where needed I use different drawing blocks with different information included. That being said... it also means having multiple versions of the same drawing block and having to update all of them whenever there is a change to the drawing block. In my case I have drawing blocks with placeholders for some default things and then it would be convenient to set in the OIP what groups of information to show or not in that title block. If there is "no information" then the placeholder stays empty.

E.g. a generic presentation drawing does not need to show the detailed georeferencing information, but the placeholder for that info might still be visible. Then it will seem as if that information does not exist or was not used. Currently I would need two drawing blocks to keep track of for just this combination of info display on/off. There are other scenarios where I sometimes need to leave out certain info, so that would be another drawing block to use.

Which wouldn't be much of an issue if it were only my own drawing blocks, but the client may want their own drawing blocks to be used for their projects, so that would be more sets of drawing blocks. It would be quite convenient if that could be reduced to one or two drawing blocks per client to cover those info scenarios.

7 minutes ago, Art V said:

... it also means having multiple versions of the same drawing block and having to update all of them whenever there is a change to the drawing block.

No, this was just an idea that I had.
So that File info could make your dual or tripple border setup even easier,
by Borders including a wide (custom) formula parameter set that you can also let generate
your special borders automatically.
As your former post looked for me like a lot of manual inputs and exemptions.

I have nothing against your feature wish of include/exclude options.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

This is excellent. I see the cleanest implementation being that the multitude of objects that rely on this type of info inherit the Project Info values as their default values when places, but allow the user to override each item individually if they need to. Attempting to parse the items that would be included in a Project Information page, let me know if I butchered anything:

1) The geographic location of the model / Georeferencing projection info currently handled by Design Layers. (I suggest that layers inherit this information from the Project Info settings by default but also allow the user to override it per-layer)

2) Heliodons should inherit their default location based on the georeferencing info from Project Info but this too should be override-able on each Heliodon object.

3) All "Project" level information currently included in Sheet Border objects (Proj ID, Proj Title, Design Firm Name/info, Project Manager, Designer, Filename etc) which should automatically become the default values for any title blocks, again allowing them to be overridden manually if the user desires.

4) Custom Record Formats should be able to hook into the Project Info fields.

5) Project Info fields should come with a well thought out set of default values, but also allow the user to add their own custom fields at will.

6) Project Info should be able to specify Project North, as a degree/minutes/seconds offset from the default document North of "Up"

Feedback welcome as always!

• Like 1

Not sure if it needs real georeferencing. I don't have much experience with it.

For me simply choosing Continent, Country, City like you do now in a Heliodon is ok,

which is needed in at least in Heliodons, Energos, ?, ...

Could be done the same way, just at a central point (File/Project Info), where you go

when you want to do add such information.

(While I think it is quite good to set the time separately in the Heliodon Tool :) )

Import of real world coordinates and projection mode for those who want, ok.

Yes, Sheet Borders, .... and everything else would grab these as defaults if available.

Not sure if the list is already complete or there may be something missing ?

Could be a nice assistant when you create a new project from scratch,

even sucking the location info from the OS or address book as default value :) 

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
8 minutes ago, zoomer said:

Not sure if it needs real georeferencing. I don't have much experience with it.

For me simply choosing Continent, Country, City like you do now in a Heliodon is ok,

which is needed in at least in Heliodons, Energos, ?, ...

Agreed, I would say letting a user pick from a simplified list or go into the full coordinate/projection (which would autopopulate the previous location fields) for the location as options would be wise. Since sometimes you don't care at all and sometimes it's incredibly important.

Agreed,

no one not ambitioned to fill in any info should not be disturbed.

Maybe the default for a borders drawing title should be drawing title,

until any project data made available.

And if open a new file from scratch means an assistant appearing,

to help you import data, it needs a No Thanks button and a check box

to prevent it next time.

Edited by zoomer
9 hours ago, JimW said:

6) Project Info should be able to specify Project North, as a degree/minutes/seconds offset from the default document North of "Up"

Based on existence Project North could the standard Views menu add.

-North Plan  (like rotated plan but always set the angle of project north)

-North, South, East and West Elevations

- NE,NW,..... Isometrics.

On Geo-referencing it would be great if there was a map view using one of the common services to pick the location.

I think this is a great wish item.  I like the idea of imputing the project info from the start where it is stored in the file to be used by

many other functions already stated in the program at a later date.  Kinda like a one stop shop for project info.  Name the info.  Names, places, dates, phone numbers, email addresses, web sites, hyperlinks, etc.

• Like 1

I'm coming in late to this thread, but....

What about "advanced" project info. related to code analysis (Occupancies, Construction Type, Exiting components, etc.)?

It would be helpful to store these types of code related parameters in order to greater leverage space tabulation worksheets. Currently, we use worksheets in spreadsheet mode, and add lots of nested formulas to help with tracking code analysis. But it would be nice to tie this sort of worksheet into project info. from a database. Has anyone given thought about storing and utilizing this level of project info? The only thing I can think of to use at this point would be a custom record. But I can imagine more of a pre-formatted questionnaire type tool instead, ideally with pull-down options, and yes/no check boxes.

Thanks,
Matt 

• Like 1
On 15/07/2017 at 8:15 AM, mgries said:

I'm coming in late to this thread, but....

What about "advanced" project info. related to code analysis (Occupancies, Construction Type, Exiting components, etc.)?

It would be helpful to store these types of code related parameters in order to greater leverage space tabulation worksheets. Currently, we use worksheets in spreadsheet mode, and add lots of nested formulas to help with tracking code analysis. But it would be nice to tie this sort of worksheet into project info. from a database. Has anyone given thought about storing and utilizing this level of project info? The only thing I can think of to use at this point would be a custom record. But I can imagine more of a pre-formatted questionnaire type tool instead, ideally with pull-down options, and yes/no check boxes.

Thanks,
Matt 

I'd really like this but then it's a problem with too many variations on a theme to cover the full international code requirements.

Still, a special "blessed" worksheet for this sort of information and some other improvements to worksheets to make these sorts of things possible could be very handy.