Altivec

Rendering Differences between 2016 and 2017

On 16. September 2016 at 11:47 PM, zoomer said:

Hmmh .... I tested importing some standard C4D Preset Lib Materials.
Saw no Reflections in VW at all.
Converted all Reflections to Beckmann.
Updated C4D Scene to 2 additional Materials using legacy Reflection only.
Created a RW Material with Glass Reflection and applied to Floor.
Saw my first Reflections in VW.

Not exactly as I expected ...

Screenshot-19.jpg

Screenshot-18.jpg

Possible that this happened only because I did this from newest fresh C4D R18 ???

Can't imagine that no one would have had tested this feature before and released that way.
So was this maybe tested by R17 at that time  and just does not yet work with new R18 ?
Should I try again in R17, R16 or even lower ?

Edited by zoomer

8 minutes ago, zoomer said:

Possible that this happened only because I did this from newest fresh C4D R18 ???

Can't imagine that no one would have had tested this feature before and released that way.
So was this maybe tested by R17 at that time  and just does not yet work with new R18 ?

This feature seems to be all sorts of - 'does not really work'....

On 16/09/2016 at 0:48 PM, Dave Donley said:

The reflectance channel is restricted for CineRender in the number and types of layers allowed.  Basically you have the same reflection/specular/luminance options as in 2016.  For imported C4D materials, they render in RW with that restriction so they will look different in RW, but if you send out the VW model to C4D the C4D rendering will have the full reflectance channel layers and types as in the original C4D material.  Hope that helps!

Just to make sure I am understanding this correctly, if Renderworks textures are created/used in VW2016 that contain reflection/specular/luminance options and the file is converted to VW 2017 it will still behave the same, or will there be the issue as described in the original post and the texture needs to be adjusted because of the change form average to additive? Or does the issue only apply to materials that have been exported to C4D and re-imported into VW which may have updated some info in the textures to cause this?

2017 Reflection models changed.
So 2016 files converted, likely looking different if materials using specular and/or reflections.
(I don't convert one of my projects as using a large amount of (client sensitive) Specular+Reflections)

Cinerender, as used in RW is limited by Maxon and does not support full C4D Material features,
(Complex Specular Model), so it also does not in Archicad or Allplan.
Complex C4D Materials imported to VW will look different in RW Renderings vs C4D Rendering.

Those Materials, once brought back to C4D won't lose any features and will look again in C4D
as they did originally. No data loss.
But you can change these Materials in VW and even revert settings back to their C4D setting.
(like Window styles)

Edited by zoomer

4 minutes ago, zoomer said:

2017 Reflection models changed.
So 2016 files converted, likely looking different if materials using specular and/or reflections.
(I don't convert one of my projects as using a large amount of (client sensitive) Specular+Reflections)

Ok, so basically it will look different in VW 2017 Renderworks if specular and/or reflections are used in Renderworks textures even if not gone through C4D. That is what I wanted to know for sure.

Which in a way is a bit too bad as I do have a few textures using reflections that were quite a fiddly mess to get right after the change from VW2015 to VW2016. I guess I'll need to start updating those textures again.

On 20.9.2016 at 10:42 PM, zoomer said:

No success so far with C4D R16 too.
I used C4D Prime Librarys Materials and switched some of them to Beckmann, some to Standard Reflexion
but see only some reflections while GI calculations but very dimm. Also no Diffuse Textures or Transparency.
So I think Textures are missing too.

What am I doing wrong ?
Is there any C4D Material Demo File provided from VW that I can look what I have to prepare in C4D ?

On 16/09/2016 at 3:36 AM, Altivec said:

Screen Shot 2016-09-15 at 11.25.29 AM.png

Hi, in your steel railing what was your technique for creating the steel lacework? Is it an image on a transparency?? 

Here are the steps I did to make the metal spindle

• Placed an image of the spindle down in plan view
  • Used “Symetrics by Distance” in the scale objects menu to get the image down to the right size.  
  • Used the double-line polygon tool to basically trace the image by strategically placing points on the curves.  
  • Then converted those points to various curves using “Change Vertex Mode” in the reshape tool and moved the various points around to make sure everything was traced nicely.  Its easier to trace small portions and then use the Add surface menu to turn them into one polygon at the end. 
  •  Once you're done tracing, its just a simple extrude.
  • It ends there, if your railing is straight but because this spindle is on a curved rail, it also needs to be curved.  I did this with these Steps:

• Converted a copy of the spindle to a generic solid (I say a copy because after you do this you can no longer edit the geometry of the spindle)
  • then under the 3D Modelling palette, I used “Bend Solid Mode” in the Deform Tool to Bend the spindle to the appropriate curve.

It sounds a lot more complicated then it is.  The hardest part is the tracing but with experience, you learn how each different curve behaves and the process gets a lot faster.   I'm not sure if I am good explainer or not so if there is something  that doesn't make sense, just let me know and I will try to clarify things a little better.

• Like 3