Web View locks me out of the house!

I've been taking Web View out for a spin on a building created in 2016. 

It keeps locking me out of the house :)  I can walk though the sliding doors out to the deck, but I can't walk back through.  And some doors don't let me though at all.

What is it looking for to allow Web View to penetrate a wall in first person mode?  

mk

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

You SHOULD be able to walk through any 3D open doors, if you have any that you can walk out but not back in for example, send me the link and I can have them take a look. The collision detection is a completely new tech for us and they're constantly tweaking things in WebView.

I'm able to walk through at least one closed door in one direction only.

Should I set all doors to be open in 3D before exporting?

This is a pretty amazing 1.0 release for Web View.  Can't wait to get client feedback.

I'd be interested to learn about the rendering limitations of the viewer.  It seems like not all the VW Open GL options are available.  What are the lighting restrictions? Can the viewer work in an orthogonal view?  (Haven't tried that yet)

Nice work.

mk

Jim

I just used the simple house from my Chicago thing in April.  So it started life in 2016.  From the second floor, in first person mode in both a computer web browser and on an iPhone I'm able to walk from inside the second floor to the deck, but then I'm stuck yelling to the neighbors for help.  Can't get back in.  That'll teach me not to have an external staircase.

https://vgx.vectorworks.net/export-m1473909948676k/WebGlTemplate.html

mk

Hey Michael,

Glad you are enjoying the Web View. Have you tried using the "First Person Setting" option? You can set your first person height by using this option. 

For getting through closed doors, we have the X-Ray mode option available for use. Please consult the in-app help for more information regarding this.

Thanks!

Andrew

Just tried a small "real" project.  This time I opened the doors.

On the computer web browser (Safari) I was able to go into a shower stall (wall w/ glass texture and glass door)  The door was closed.  Once in I could not get out.

Then I tried it on my iPhone (which is the way I think I will recommend to clients).  I was able to go through the door into the shower and exit again.

In the above sample file it was also a glass door that I was able to walk through when it was closed.

mk

Alan

It just opens in a web browser.  If you navigate to this page on your iPad, clicking the above link should do it.

I'm finding that the Web View experience is better on an iPhone or iPad.  I assume it's similar on non-apple devices.  When I view it on my quickly aging MBP the fans spin up to turbo.  And using the mouse to look around feels like left and right are inverted.

mk

• Like 1

Ok thanks took down as it was a work job but can you see around the house using the 3D VR, walk around the pool etc. It works on PC just not the ipads. Have sent link to Jim so will see what becomes of it.
Also interesting is that thats not the setting that i have in my file. the kitchen has 4 stools in a straight line. 

Thanks

Edited by Alan Woodwell

OK, Getting to the answer slowly. It may be linked to the file size. Have posted a file with a few spheres on it and all works fine. Can view on all Ipad etc. 
This is Sooooo Cooool!!!!!!!!!!xD

With the 3d option is there any way to walk around??? or is it a static view that you can spin around from a single point??,

Stop looking just figured it out. (I think) Use the walk around mode and when you get to a spot you want to look around switch to 360 mode then look around. So it appears that you switch back and forth. (Unless others have found a better solution.)

Edited by Alan Woodwell

Switch to the 360 mode.  (mono, unless you have a headset for your phone)

Look down.  Way down at your feet.  You will see a '-', '+', walking man, pause.

Point the little dot in the center of the screen at the walking man and hold it there until that tool is selected.  You will see the wheel spin around the man.

Look up.  You are walking.  Look back down and put the center dot on the plus or minus to go faster.  Look down and hold on the pause to stop walking and enjoy the view at that point.

hth

mk

• Like 1