Door Style Mark

Tom Klaber

Question

I LOVE the new door styles.  I liked my name of "types' better - but I understand the desire for semantic consistency. 

The one thing that is missing is a Style ID field or 'Mark'.  When we schedule doors we have the Door ID - then the size - then the TYPE ID (Usually A, B, C) that then points to details.  I am assuming you could schedule the style name - but that is too long for a door schedule.  You could change the name to A, B, C - but then you look the description and searchability.  Just like walls have a 'Mark' field separate from their name - Door and Window types need this too.

Edited by Tom Klaber

8 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
9 minutes ago, Tom Klaber said:

The user field can not be set to "By Style" -  so then you have to manually assign the Style ID (or Mark) to each door...which is what we have to do now.  But since we were gifted "Styles" - now it feels like double entry.  I have to select the door style and then I have to go to the schedule and manually mark the door as using that style...if the style changes - I now have to remember to go back to the schedule and manually re-mark it.

I kind of think this was an obvious miss - especially since there was the wall template that works well in this regard.  Prime candidate for a SP upgrade.  

The data fields CAN be styled. Note the "By Style" column. Let me know if this does not do what you need.

Screen Shot 2016-09-15 at 10.02.28 AM.png

Hi Tom,

I'm glad you're loving the new Door and Window Styles! I get what you mean about the use of the word "type" but for each "type" in an architectural set, you still could have more than one "style" in order to deal with various wall conditions. It really depends on how you prefer to organize them. And yes, the word "styles" makes sense foe consistency. :-)

Regarding inputing a "Type ID": I agree and it is something we have on the radar. You can use a user field located in the Data pane of the Door Settings dialog. Certainly not ideal but it will allow you to show it on schedules.

36 minutes ago, Matt Panzer said:

Hi Tom,

I'm glad you're loving the new Door and Window Styles! I get what you mean about the use of the word "type" but for each "type" in an architectural set, you still could have more than one "style" in order to deal with various wall conditions. It really depends on how you prefer to organize them. And yes, the word "styles" makes sense foe consistency. :-)

Regarding inputing a "Type ID": I agree and it is something we have on the radar. You can use a user field located in the Data pane of the Door Settings dialog. Certainly not ideal but it will allow you to show it on schedules.

The user field can not be set to "By Style" -  so then you have to manually assign the Style ID (or Mark) to each door...which is what we have to do now.  But since we were gifted "Styles" - now it feels like double entry.  I have to select the door style and then I have to go to the schedule and manually mark the door as using that style...if the style changes - I now have to remember to go back to the schedule and manually re-mark it.

I kind of think this was an obvious miss - especially since there was the wall template that works well in this regard.  Prime candidate for a SP upgrade.  

2 minutes ago, Matt Panzer said:

The data fields CAN be styled. Note the "By Style" column. Let me know if this does not do what you need.

Screen Shot 2016-09-15 at 10.02.28 AM.png

Apologies all around! I was trying to edit the door not the door style.  Then this will work well! - I can now wait until 2018 to have a Mark field.

Edited by Tom Klaber

Hi All,

To resurrect this slightly - Did 2018 introduce the Mark field we were hoping for? Or still using the workaround mentioned above..?

Trying to put together a large door schedule for the first time and basically want to have a field which shows door 'style' for each door (I think this is what you are describing above).

A

On 2/12/2018 at 12:46 PM, Asemblance said:

To resurrect this slightly - Did 2018 introduce the Mark field we were hoping for? Or still using the workaround mentioned above..?

You still need to use the same method outlined above for Vectorworks 2018.

Best regards,

Matt