Renderworks Style - Indirect Lighting options

Kevin McAllister

Question

I am wondering if there is more documentation for the Indirect Lighting options for a Renderworks Style. I couldn't even find the multiple bounce options listed in the help (bounce returns no results).

I'd like to know more about "Immediate Preview, Slow Resolve, 2 Bounces". It seems like it should be faster than 3, 4 or 8 bounces but in reality its dreadfully slow when combined with Hidden Line as a foreground mode. Should these modes not be combined?

Thanks,

Kevin

Screen Shot 2016-09-14 at 10.58.48 AM.png

3 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The Immediate Preview one is just when you're checking lighting and angles mostly, it gives a very quick prerender compared to the others but takes longer overall to finish than either 3 or 4 bounces I think. It is more of a utility setting and not what you would use outside of light and shadow checking. Often we encourage setting up dual render styles, a final one and then a "Working" rendering mode that shows previews very quickly but that you would rarely even allow to finish rendering so that you could tweak things faster.

I have heard this is a very good primer on Indirect Lighting, haven't had a chance to watch the entire series myself yet though:

The idea of the bounces is to light the secene realistically, calculating the light bouncing from one surface to another. 3 o 4 bounces makes a dramatic improvement to the scene and make the view much more realistic. I never use the Immediate Preview, I think I tried it once and couldn't see the point of it. 

I have some clients that have tried placing lights using no bounces, but then when they add the bounces the scene is over lit, so if you are trying to get a quick render to test the scene, leave the bounces on, reduce the over quality to speed up the rendering. 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, JimW said:

The Immediate Preview one is just when you're checking lighting and angles mostly, it gives a very quick prerender compared to the others but takes longer overall to finish than either 3 or 4 bounces I think. It is more of a utility setting and not what you would use outside of light and shadow checking.

Great. Thanks. There isn't an immediate anything when Hidden Line is used with it :)

24 minutes ago, JimW said:

Often we encourage setting up dual render styles, a final one and then a "Working" rendering mode that shows previews very quickly but that you would rarely even allow to finish rendering so that you could tweak things faster.

I feel like I wish listed this idea..... or maybe I'm imagining things..... the ability to switch between a preview setup and a final setup for a sheet layer viewport (maybe in Publish?). Its sort of possible by selecting a group of SLVPs and editing their render settings together.

20 minutes ago, Jonathan Pickup said:

so if you are trying to get a quick render to test the scene, leave the bounces on, reduce the over quality to speed up the rendering. 

Great advice.

Thanks to you both.

Kevin