Stair Tool

Jim Smith

Question

16 minutes ago, nrkuhl said:

I'm bumping this because I just spent 30 minutes wrestling with the stair tool trying to move risers from one leg of a stair to the other (trying to equalize the number of treads above and below a landing).

If there was some way to stop the tool from recalculating after every change, so you could make a couple of changes that would still result in a working stair, that would be a huge start.  50+% of the time, my fights with the stair tool revolve around trying to get a certain number of treads in the right places.  I try to adjust one set of treads, and I get yelled at by the tool.  But if it would just shut the hell up for 30s, I'd be making a second change that allows a functional stair.

^^^ This is the exact same complaint that I have about the Stair tool. Good, functional tools should not get in your face and SHOUT at you about everything that you are doing wrong. 

1 minute ago, Tom Klaber said:

At least they finally fixed the issue where it would not even let you finish typing the number before it shouted at you.  

This is not the right approach for a stair tool.  Though I have not worked with them - from the videos of Cheif Architect and ArchiCad - the graphical approach seems significantly better.

Honestly, I can't tell the difference.  I started with VW2012, and the usability of the stair tool doesn't seem to have changed at all in that time.

1 minute ago, Jim Smith said:

I have more or less stopped using the stair tool completely. It is frankly the worst part of the VW programme. 

But there's that 25% of the time when it more or less works and I get what I want in far less time than I could have modeled it.

If I change something about a stair, I get weird ghost shapes on the 2nd floor, and sometimes two representations of stairs on the 1st floor. The tool is unusable as it is. Generally, something seem to be broken with 2018 graphics. Strange orange artefacts and disappearing and reappearing objects. These issues seem to occur cross-platform, so it must be the main program.

ghost stair.JPG

Edited by JMR
Added an image of a ghost stair.
9 hours ago, Art V said:

Please also include the new, fixed etc. made great again stair tool in Landmark and Spotlight as well as we use stairs quite often, i.e. a single stair tool in all VW versions and not some watered down version Architect's stair tool in Landmark and Spotlight.

I am not sure the long-term value of the separate versions anyway.  How many copies of Designer are they selling because people need multiple mods?  My guess is most people grumble but do not upgrade to get the 3 or 4 crossover tools that would be useful.  I think they should just sell designer - and then just have different workspaces.  It would really press the value proposition.  If everybody paid a little more, it would more than make up for lost revenue of people paying a lot more for designer. 

No more getting excited about a new tool then getting sad that it is not included in the Arch mod.

3 hours ago, Tom Klaber said:

I am not sure the long-term value of the separate versions anyway.  How many copies of Designer are they selling because people need multiple mods?  My guess is most people grumble but do not upgrade to get the 3 or 4 crossover tools that would be useful.  I think they should just sell designer - and then just have different workspaces.  It would really press the value proposition.  If everybody paid a little more, it would more than make up for lost revenue of people paying a lot more for designer. 

No more getting excited about a new tool then getting sad that it is not included in the Arch mod.

There supposedly was a bit of talk of merging Architect and Landscape in the past (from hearsay) which would make sense as there can be quite a bit of overlap and some functionality of one is often useful for the other and vice versa. Spotlight is an entirely different animal so I can see that being a separate version.

The issue, at least for me, is not that there may be a tool or two or three that would be nice to have from another version but that the same tool (stair tool in this case) is different between versions and one version has more/better functionality than the other. That doesn't make sense to me as it requires additional programming resources to do this that could be better spent on fixing other things.