HELP! Resource Browser SERIOUS problem VW2017

Mattheng

Question

Jim (or anyone else...)

I have installed VW on 2 Macs so far and had one massive problem.

Attached is a screenshot of what the Resource Browser looks like AFTER I uninstalled and reinstalled because it did this the first time I installed it.

I use my own templates and VW 2017 does not seem to like them, they open in all other versions almost instantly but they are REALLY slow in 2017 after it has migrated them and, on this computer at least, seem to have permanently corrupted the Resource Browser.

I still have VW 2016 working but that is hardly the point...

Help... anyone...

Matt

Screen Shot 2016-09-14 at 16.49.44.png

10 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
7 hours ago, Mattheng said:

ok, uninstalled and reinstalled.

The Vision error has gone and everything seems pretty normal.

Still achingly slow on the templates, just the ones that I have created but once they are loaded it seems to work ok.

Ah I think I have just sussed why they are so slow...

I have a lot of textures pre loaded in the templates which I probably do not need any more with the new Resource Browser..hmmm...new templates I think I need, as Yoda might say..

Matt

Matt,

High resolution previews have been added for all resources for VW2017. Your templates files have a lot of textures. They are slow because the high resolution previews for the textures are being regenerated for 2017. The Batch Conversion command converts your files but unfortunately it cannot regenerate resource previews. That's why even though you converted your files to the new format, the high-res previews still need to generated when the file is actually opened.  This is a one time operation that should only occur the first time you open the file in 2017. Of course, you would need to save the file to keep the previews. The reason you see the slowdown every time you open the template is because your templates are never re-saved. You should open your templates and re-save them. 

Hugues  

• Like 1

Post the system profile from those Macs please, and I can take a look:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/627/DirectX+Diagnostics+and+System+Profiler

However, my FIRST guess would be to change the setting under Tools > Options > Vectorworks Preferences > Display > Navigation Graphics to Best Compatibility.

Jim,

Here it is.

I have solved the Resource Browser problem, it actually turned out that it had made a translucent copy of all the pallets that had to be deleted...!

I do get this message every time I log inScreen Shot 2016-09-14 at 17.49.06.png

Not sure what it means

I have changed my document preferences as you suggest.

The major problem now is that the templates are still like treacle, no idea why.

And finally, I cannot work out how to use the hedge mode in the Plant tool. The help file talks about being in "Apply" mode which does not appear to exist. I'm sure it's crushingly simple but right now I can't suss it.

It just appears greyed out and then the help file suggests toggling it on without telling you how to do it...

Matt...

Screen Shot 2016-09-14 at 17.22.22.png

Just now, zoomer said:

I had glitches too.
(Had only one, the middle column, only)

That is no big issue, just pull on every sides, horizontal as vertical, and try to pull out
all possible Columns and rows until you feel satisfied with their amount.

Happened to me too, looks like this is already on the list to be fixed in SP1, but I'll confirm. I hadn't noticed it in any of the betas.

1 hour ago, Mattheng said:

Jim,

Here it is.

I have solved the Resource Browser problem, it actually turned out that it had made a translucent copy of all the pallets that had to be deleted...!

I do get this message every time I log inScreen Shot 2016-09-14 at 17.49.06.png

Not sure what it means

It means that the catalog that drives the browsing experience in the resource manager is out of date and must be updated. Click 'Update' in this dialog. You wouldn't have to update again until the content libraries change.

Ok have sorted out the hedge mode...duh

Hugues, if what you say is true my content libraries must change every time I close down.

That's why it seems strange that I get it every time I log in, ah maybe it will just go away of its own accord...

Still having major problems with the speed that the templates open.

Must take about 30 seconds to open a template, before it was so fast you could barely notice...

Matt

ok, uninstalled and reinstalled.

The Vision error has gone and everything seems pretty normal.

Still achingly slow on the templates, just the ones that I have created but once they are loaded it seems to work ok.

Ah I think I have just sussed why they are so slow...

I have a lot of textures pre loaded in the templates which I probably do not need any more with the new Resource Browser..hmmm...new templates I think I need, as Yoda might say..

Matt