Custom Symbols not showing preview - 2017

Markvl

Question

11 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Would there be a reason why a symbol custom made by myself would not show up in the preview window of the RM.  Only the thumbnail show.

It SHOULD, ones I made were showing, but I am not sure if the file has to be saved to regenerate the preview or not, it works a little different than the simple thumbnail. Save the file in 2017 and close/reopen and if you still don't see them, send me the file or a sample where it's happening and I can confirm/submit.

31 minutes ago, Markvl said:
24 minutes ago, Markvl said:

If I open up the file that the symbols are in  and pick the symbol as part of the current drawing it will show in the preview panel but if I go down to the same file as shown in my libraries section it doesn't work.

Odd.

@MarkvlYou may need to have opened the library once for it to create the detailed view cache, I will try to verify. (Moved this out of the main thread in case it becomes a confirmed known issue.)

There is life.  Funny.  It didn't work before.  What I am noticing now when I open an existing file is a notice on the bottom right indicating that the system is generating previews.

I've now saved a couple of different files that weren't working and now upon saving they do.  But only from my favourites.  My user libraries are not working the same way.

VW libraries work fine.

Well if you have quite a lot it COULD just be taking time to update the previews in the background. It actually creates live views of the resource on the fly without getting in the user's way, so it may be happening in the background. I responded via PM with my results, but for the time being I would give it a bit and see if it changes. I'll check with the Resource Manager team and see if this is to be expected. I don't see the problem on my machines but I also have a completely blank installation from stock with no large user library for it to handle.

Markvl,

Open the files in your user libraries in VW2017 and re-save them. This will regenerate all the large previews. Once you have updated all files in your user libraries, run the Refresh Libraries command in the Resource Manager to see the changes; or restart Vectorworks and update your libraries catalog if you get the libraries out-of -date alert.

I'm having this issue as well with SP2.  My case has some larger views that do not get produced as described above, then others that will not get the small thumbnails to take no matter what the refresh / quitting scheme is.

I'm not sure if it related, but, at least some of those symbols get corrupted when bringing in to the drawing file by the 2D component and 3D component splitting off from each other, and then the 3D component disappears.  And to make things worse, the undo command fails to step back to correct the situation, or rather jumps farther back from where the inserted symbol view was placed.  In those cases, it is complicated as well because The VW UNDO command won't keep one view static while object manipulation is happening.  

OK, so VW is very fussy about the separation, saving of those objects.  When I open up a completely new file and make or change the objects there, I can then import them back to the original file with the previews intact.  If that can be fixed you would not have to be so anal about the process.