Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Marionette Improvements for Vectorworks 2017!

Marissa Farrell

• Marionette Maven
Just now, Alan Woodwell said:

YAY!!!!:) Cant wait to get into it, love the slider! Unfortunately here in AUS/NZ we have to wait for at least 4-6 weeks from the time 2017 is released before the AUS/NZ version is released.:(:(:(

Alan,

That just means I'll have plenty of time to have materials ready for you to learn from! You won't have to do any guesswork when it comes to setting these nodes up :) 

• Like 1
  • Marionette Maven
1 minute ago, Kevin McAllister said:

Thanks Marissa! I look forward to learning more about all these items..... :D

(There is one very important new node you forgot to mention.... its in the Operations folder. I'll let you say what it is.....)

Kevin

Ha!

I guess I forgot it's 'new' since our broken version existed all the way through 16. (I even had to go to the operations category to figure out what you were talking about. Shame on me...)

But Kevin's right!

THE MIRROR NODE NOW WORKS! (please, hold your applause)

I'll cover that in a tutorial later :)

• Like 2
  • Marionette Maven

Yes! It's a new function.

It was actually created during 2016 and was intended to be implemented (which is why the node snuck its broken self in...) but never actually got approval to be merged in since it was written around the time of SP2, if I remember correctly, and not before the initial release of 2016.

This is another reason why I mention every so often that we can't update the VS/Python API between releases. 

Please do test it thoroughly, though. I believe we can still FIX the API between releases. Just not implement new functionality.

Hi Alan, you could try the trial version at http://www.vectorworks.net/trial/ . And use US, and dummy phone/zip code numbers? I remember doing this for version 2015. For I had tried using NZ and it said it wasn't available yet. Meaning, because the actual version wasn't ready, the trial version isn't.

@JimW/ @MarissaF; what are the legalities of doing these? Please delete this post if it's breaking any laws :D..

I think the reality is, it's true there are reasons why other areas get released later than others because of local features etc., however most of us are pretty much VW enthusiasts and it would be nice for at least a trial version for everyone.

Guest unlimited

Great - thanks for this Marissa. 

And don't worry about the voice thing - i think we all get that the first time we hear our own voice and for what its worth yours sounds fine and clear from this end - so no excuses now :)

Yeah, waiting for new version is always painful

Vectorworks 2017 is really a great Update. Especially many costly improvements of the core techniques, Data Management and BIM Features. Thank you so much!!

Personally, I wished the Marionette stuff would cooking on a bigger flame ... but let's be pleased with the improvements we got :D

I did some Tests with the slider controll ... looks great!

1st_play_with_slider.zip

• Like 4
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
22 hours ago, twk said:

Hi Alan, you could try the trial version at http://www.vectorworks.net/trial/ . And use US, and dummy phone/zip code numbers? I remember doing this for version 2015. For I had tried using NZ and it said it wasn't available yet. Meaning, because the actual version wasn't ready, the trial version isn't.

@JimW/ @MarissaF; what are the legalities of doing these? Please delete this post if it's breaking any laws :D..

I think the reality is, it's true there are reasons why other areas get released later than others because of local features etc., however most of us are pretty much VW enthusiasts and it would be nice for at least a trial version for everyone.

I think you'd be just fine. Especially since it really shouldn't be that long and you already own the current version effectively.

@MarissaF I noticed there's a bit of a UI anomaly when inserting the Button node. For whatever reason the cursor shows a line instead of the outline of the node like it does with all the other nodes. I have no idea if it affects anything or not but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Kevin

Inserting a Button looks like this.....

Screen Shot 2016-09-15 at 8.34.13 PM.png

Inserting any other node looks like this.....

Screen Shot 2016-09-15 at 8.34.25 PM.png

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...