Viewport Hidden Line getting cropped

rDesign

Question

All of my Camera-linked SLVPs are being cropped, where there is a border around the edge where the foreground hidden line does not render. The hidden lines stop short of the edge, with the background render continuing the full dimension. 

vw_slvp_crop.jpg

I can make it happen by following these steps:

1. Create a RW Camera and select it, create a SLVP at 1/4" scale (creating a SLVP linked to a Camera)
  2. Select the created SLVP, rescale it to 3/16" and then add a larger viewport crop.
  3. Set the background mode to a Renderworks style and set the foreground mode to Hidden Line.
  4. Update viewport

The Hidden line portion of the SLVP renders at the original uncropped VP size, while the background RW renders at the full crop size, but it doesn't render any Hidden Lines outside the original SLVP dimensions.

slvp_cropped.gif

Edited by rDesign

11 answers to this question

This has been happening for me throughout all Service Packs of 2016, so I don't think it's ever been picked up.

(I have to say that I've been feeling the Quality Control / Beta testing has been slipping. It's starting to feel like every time I turn around, I find another bug. If Vw is using some sort of automated system for Quality Control, it's time to get a new system).

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

There is SOME automation, but mostly just dead simple things like "When the rectangle tool is clicked does Vectorworks not crash?" which are simple enough that a human doesn't need to be involved. But the more specific circumstances like "When a camera is used to create a viewport AND it has a crop AND that viewport has Hidden Line as the foreground" I can see something like this being missed, since the render did FINISH but finished incompletely as soon as a human takes a look at it. 

With some of the upcoming changes though, Renderworks related issues will definitely be getting more attention for reasons that will become clear soon.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Kevin McAllister said:

This is where I vote for a more open beta process..... there are so many different workflows at a certain point it becomes almost impossible to test for every eventuality.....

KM

I agree 100% - a more open beta process is sorely needed.

Additionally, the process of filing bugs needs to be completely streamlined and made trackable / accountable. I've been ignoring this cropped VP bug for months because it's more of an annoyance and not a huge bug, and quite simply I haven't had the time to file a report for it.

Hopefully the new 'Known Issues' section of the forum will become quickly populated with all the issues that we know are out there.

26 minutes ago, JimW said:

There is SOME automation, but mostly just dead simple things like "When the rectangle tool is clicked does Vectorworks not crash?" which are simple enough that a human doesn't need to be involved. But the more specific circumstances like "When a camera is used to create a viewport AND it has a crop AND that viewport has Hidden Line as the foreground" I can see something like this being missed, since the render did FINISH but finished incompletely as soon as a human takes a look at it. 

With some of the upcoming changes though, Renderworks related issues will definitely be getting more attention for reasons that will become clear soon.

Thanks JimW for the feedback.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Vw2017 holds.