Wish : Move by Points Tool Improvements

zoomer

Question

14 answers to this question

2. Selection :
No Need for an extra CTRL to select elements if there was no selection already,
because in that case that tool doesn't work anyway.
So if no Selection and Move by Points active - at this point it is just the Selection Tool and to be used like that.
A STRG+ may be useful only to change the Selection while using Move by Points Tool,
but it could also be just something like a single ESC key,
to drop the selection and activate the Selection Mode again.

3. Continuous Mode :
The Move/Copy by Points Tool should stay active and directly produce a new Copy/Move wich each following
"to next position" Click,
until the user does a single ESC, to escape one Tool Level down, to re-activate a new "from origin" position.
So first ESC escape from "continuous mode" back to from "here to there mode",
a second ESC may be used to even drop the Selection.

• Like 1

I still prefer to have to separate Tools and Icons for Copy and Move Tool
As for me it is much easier to do automated motoric actions in simple, restricted and reliable Tools than
the need to concentrate on complex multi usage Tools and all the time change Options and Sub Modes.

Maybe even as a hidden Option with the need to manually activate in Custom Workspace,
to not disturb other users.

4. Last Distance :
The Copy Tool will give you exactly the last distance used as a temporary Snap Point Option.
When zoomed out, that "last distance" snap point will have priority over other elements "real" snap points.
so you can securely continue your Copy/Move Action.

(Last distance used as a temporary Snap Point Option, for all related Tools, like Push Pull Tool, ....)

5. Cursor Direction Recognition :
(Like Any Tools) the Copy Tool will automatically read the cursor direction given by the user and will use
the Numeric Input as a Relative Distance in that special Direction and therefore needs No Negative Inputs.
And also never again any DOUBLE ENTER's.
If the cursor is moved in Y-direction, it is self understanding that the next Numeric Input will automatically
be placed in the Y-Axis Input Field activated, never in an X or Z Input Field.

7 hours ago, zoomer said:

I still prefer to have to separate Tools and Icons for Copy and Move Tool
As for me it is much easier to do automated motoric actions in simple, restricted and reliable Tools than
the need to concentrate on complex multi usage Tools and all the time change Options and Sub Modes.

Maybe even as a hidden Option with the need to manually activate in Custom Workspace,
to not disturb other users.

I do like the move by point tool to have a copy option as often I start moving something into place before copying, so only having to use a modifier key to toggle the copy functionality on/off is quite handy.

Though I can see the use for an option to split/combine the move by point and copy functionality for those who like to keep this separate. With some tools the modifier keys can be a bit cumbersome if there are too many sub-options so some simplification would be useful.

I like all suggestions , so upvoted the ones I like the most.

24 minutes ago, Art V said:

I like all suggestions , so upvoted the ones I like the most.

Thanks Art V,
that is why I separated each feature in an own Post, so that people can up/down vote.

24 minutes ago, Art V said:

Though I can see the use for an option to split/combine the move by point and copy functionality for those who like to keep this separate. With some tools the modifier keys can be a bit cumbersome if there are too many sub-options so some simplification would be useful.

I also want simpler Tools so I vote 2 separate Tools for Copy and Move.
Currently I activate the Move by Points Tool and the first thing is to check if the Copy Option is really off
and if the Multiplier is Move-ready.

If I would get additional just that same Tool again, best reduced to Move-only Options,
I had no more need to think or concentrate and be sure to Move only.

The current Move by Points Tool could stay as it is.
Just I personally would leave the Copy Option always activated. Other can still use it as they did the last years.

BTW,
did you know that you can with the Move by Points Tool - Copy Option deactivated (!) - still copy by using the ALT key ;) 

Edited by zoomer
7 minutes ago, zoomer said:

did you know that you can with the Move by Points Tool - Copy Optiondeactivated (!) - Copy by using the ALT key ;) 

Thanks for the tip, didn't think of using the CTRL (Windows) with that.

That being said, I often use the move by point/copy combination to sequentially copy objects using a certain point of that object across the drawing to be aligned with something else. Then having a modifier key for the move by point is quite a bit easier that having to press the CTRL key all the time. Saves me from getting a lame/RSI pink from pressing CTRL key all the time :)

Edited by Art V
9 minutes ago, zoomer said:

Yes I want my reputation leveled back to 17 - I like 17.
;)

Too late, it seems Jim has been using the Love Button given his reply to your comment on separating each feature in a post of its own. Your reputation won't ever get back to 17 I guess. :)

Edited by Art V