Having difficulty with dimensions, moving the walls when I move the dimensions.

Divegod

Question

I'm using the dimension tool and I'll putting dimensions on a plan of a house.

When I use the tool I dimension as close to the walls as I can and then I try and move them up out of the way as I have a number of rows of dimensions to add.

The problem I encounter is that when I use the move tool to move them the walls follow, which is not what I want.

I've tried to use constrained and unconstrained, single dimensions and chain and it moves the walls with all of them.

I'm doing the dimensions in the annotation view port.

There must be an easier way to do this.

Thanks

6 answers to this question

When you're drawing a dimension, the first click is the first dimension point, the second click is the second dimension point and then you can drag to move the dimension away from your object. The last click finishes the dimension command. It sounds like you may be double clicking on the second dimension point.

After the dimension is drawn you can easily move it further away by editing the "Dim Off" field in the OIP. I often enter a +X or -X after the value in that field to move it.

Kevin

I think I  found a way to do it.

I understand the process with your first sentence, that wasn't the issue.

The problem was that the dimensions were associated with the walls that I dimensioned. When I use the Dim off field it leaves the witness lines in the same place so I have these ugly dimension lines all over the drawings.

I did a chain dimension then right clicked it and used 'disassociate', then I was able to move the dimensions from where they were, the walls remained in their original position and the witness lines were there normal size.

Is there an easier way to do this?

Thanks

It might be worth exploring custom dimension styles if you're looking to keep your drawing clean of extension lines. Then you don't have to disassociate or move the dimensions using the move tool, you can just use the "Dim Off" field. Here's an example of two different dimension styles I use. You can create your own under File>Document Settings>Document Preferences>Dimensions, then click on Custom.

Kevin

Screen Shot 2016-09-12 at 5.50.21 PM.png

I have very few experience with dimensions so far.
(Just saw that the ergonomic of the Tool works again totally different from what I had expected when creating dimensions)

But my question is,
is it not possible to draw the dimensions at the place you want, in a stacked way and
set the extension lines to a specific length ?

Similar to this ? :
(BTW this was done by hand at that time :) )

Screenshot-14.jpg