What is "reputation" based on?

Kevin McAllister

Question

8 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

So in this thread for example the widget on the left for promoting an answer would not be included, just the one on the bottom right. The notification system I think summarizes the notifications for it in small bundles to reduce clutter. In most of my feeds I have those notifications disabled.

There is also the opportunity for user confusion between voting up / down to promote an answer (on the left) and voting on a user's reputation (green / red arrows at the bottom).

In Kevin's example, someone may have thought they were voting down (demoting) one of Kevin's posts, when they were actually voting down on his reputation.

(If there is the concern about user's feelings getting hurt by receiving 'negative' reputation votes, there is a setting to have only 'positive' user reputation votes).

Edited by rDesign
  • Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Yes the reputation system works everywhere, you will always see it on the bottom right of posts even when they aren't in a Best Answer-able forum. This is one of the larger reasons we didn't make every forum Best Answer style, as the two items were thought to cause a little confusion. I had figured if we just limited them to the two forums it would become more clear.

But just because one answer is better than others we didn't want people getting lower reputation for being "Less Correct"

Instead of video, or in addition, put a hover box with notice of definition or instruction at location of each forum feature. Include a Pref for delay setting (1 sec, 5 sec, etc ) or disable the notices (en mas? Individually?). Duration should not be timed, but rather notice evaporates when move cursor away. Or dismiss button?

Eg - For the red/green markers the hover displays: "Click the green box to increase  author's forum reputation 1 point. Click red box to reduce author's forum reputation by 1 point."

Videos are great but need extensive catalog, and who wants to search? Eg "What's that thing at left side of posts?"

As noted, quick feature definitions get lost in midst of long video presentation.

-B

• Like 1