digitalcarbon

Vectoworks 2016 & 3d Connexion settings

I know it's early but anyone know if there are any changes to 3DConnexion compatibility with VW 2017?

It was hinted at by @JimWa while ago but not sure if it made it to final release. 

Just had a quick play actually - am slammed busy at the moment - daren't move current projects to 2017 just yet, but just tried one exhibition stand I am doing with the Space Mouse Pro Wireless - this one :Screen Shot 2016-09-14 at 07.44.41.png

So far - looking really good!!!  Added VW2017 as an application manually (it didn't auto detect - not sure if it was supposed to) and with defaults it was perfect.  Very sensitive - but I guess you can adjust that.  Best of all - the buttons work! So top view / front view / right view buttons / fit to object right there under your thumb.  Superb!

Seems as if Vectorworks engineers have done a lot to support it -when using the 3D button - VW automatically swaps to flyover mode, and it looks like you can change the mode.  There also seems to be a new "Target Camera Mode" Navigation setting.

Still early days, and will play more when I have more time - but it looks like a big step forward!

Thanks @JimW

and all at VW!Andrew

• Like 2

Okay so my Enterprise has arrived.  Using it with the demo they provide, it works great but using it with vectorworks, not so much.  I'm not sure if its because Enterprise is not yet supported or if I am just doing something wrong.   I found the knowledge base on how I should set it up with Vectorworks but it didn't seem to help.  

The buttons and Macros I set up work great but my main issues is that as soon as I touch the knob In a 3D view it moves me to a completely different place or switches my view entirely.  I get completely lost of where I am at so I have to reorient myself with the mouse.  The other issue I have is that I thought the point of this is so that you can work with two hands at the same time.  I can't seem to do that.  When I'm using the navigator, my selected tool switches over to flyover until I let go of it.  That makes using the mouse in my other hand useless.  Since these navigators are getting rave reviews,  I know I am doing something wrong because its basically unusable for me.  If anyone has some advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

I use it almost entirely in Walkthrough mode personally. I haven't done much production work in the release build of 2017 though, after I have I'll report back, I should be doing a bunch of 3D related stuff soon to give it a good shakedown.

Do you have Enterprise too or do you have one of the other models?   How do you get it to stay on walkthrough?   If I select walkthrough with my mouse, the navigator stays in walkthrough for a few seconds and then it switches back to fly through.  The menu button on the navigator switches between different camera modes but it doesn't have an option to stick with walk-through.  I think there is definitely something wrong with how I have this set up.    Are there any settings or preferences in Vectorworks for 3D Connexion or is it all done behind the scenes and everything is done through their system preference panel app?   I haven't touched or found anything I vectorworks itself.

Direct reply from one of the engineers,

"First of all, I'm not sure which platform he is on. But I think it might be very similar to what Hernan experienced. I remember he needed to adjust the speed for his device. Also, before 3DConnexion includes our configuration file, he needed to make sure that the old settings are not interfered with the new set up in Vectorworks 2017.

Navigation during manipulation on the model problem he pointed out will cause crashes in many cases. Unless we change the underline mechanism of how we redraw the interactive frame, we are not able to make this happen."

but I haven't had time to properly give it a shakedown yet. I use just the SpaceNavigator but the knob's functions should be very similar, i'm just missing the extra buttons. I have one button that toggles between Walkthrough and Flyover and another button that brings up the config menu.

I had a chance to try a few more things.  There is definitely something wrong here.  My guess is that Enterprise behaves differently then the others and requires some different programming on Vectorworks end.

My Enterprise is brand new and has only been installed while on VW2017 (no previous installs or migration).  My Platform is OS X 10.1..6. There were no previous config files installed, in fact I can’t even find any config files to install.   The latest drivers which I had to download from their site has no predefined configs for Vectorworks at all.   In order to get the buttons working, I had to add the vectorworks App in the 3D Connexion App manually and set everything up myself.  Some of the basic buttons like the modifier keys and the view keys did work without my input but nothing else was attached to any button. 

There is no button that toggles between walkthrough and flyover and no button that opens up any config menu.  There is only one button called “menu” that cycles through modes that show up in the error info location in the bottom right corner.  These modes are “Using 2D Navigation, Using Target Camera Mode Navigation, and Using Object Mode Navigation”  Although each of these modes acts a little differently, they all select the flyover tool.  I would be even okay with this, but as I mentioned even brushing against the navigator resets the view making me completely disoriented.   By using the mouse to zoom out, I was able to find my model and understand what its doing.  Basically no matter what view I start with (eg. right isometric) as soon as i slightly touch the navigator no matter which direction, it automatically switches to top view and moves me about 4 model width away in one direction.  If I start off in top view, everything works as expected.

So, from the looks of it, until Enterprise is supported, this navigator thing is a no go for me.  When they do implement it, i’m hoping that they do “change the underpin mechanism of how it redraws interactive frame”.  I’m actually surprised that everyone using these things hasn’t already mentioned that they can’t use their mouse and the navigator at the same time.  Thats where all the time savings of using this would come in.  If they need me to do beta testing for this, I am definitely open to it.

Yes, something is different in VW 2017.

And it works with all 5 Axis in Object (Orbit) Mode now - Yippieh !

(5, not 6, as I don't want Trackball Rotation sideways)

"Menu" button gives 3 Modes, like in 2016.
Yes Flyover does work different/strange.
Object Mode works well for me but I had to switch assignments, other than 2016.

And don't forget to lower "Overall Speed" in Device Tab.
Somehow that started with middle or 50% speed setting for 2017.
Like for 2016 and all other Apps I use about 10-15% only.

Here are my current Settings :

Screenshot-28.jpg

Edited by zoomer
  • Like 1

Thanks zoomer.  I tried your settings and advice but for some reason I can’t get it to stop switching to top view.  I went back to 2016 and like you said it works a lot different in there.  It actually works as expected.  I’m going to try deleting my 2017 profile and start again to see if that makes a difference.  If you are not experiencing it with your enterprise, there must be something wrong on my end somewhere.

No, no jump to top view here (no jump to anywhere)
But it was unusable with the speed setting it created for 2017.

For until VW 2016 it worked with the VW settings from the KBase.
(Those with everything mirrored and mixed up)

For me there were 2 usable Modes.
1. The Object Mode where your 3D Stick works like the object,
e.g. rotate stick around Z left, Object rotates left.
And 2. the rotated Fly Through Mode where I get ill :S
Where the stick will move your "head" in virtual space.
e.g. rotate stick around Z left, look to or rotate head to the left.

the second mode currently does not work for me here.
Which is good, so I don't get ill :)

Edited by zoomer

IFinally had a chance to test some things out.    I removed VW2017 from the control panels app list.   If I use the default "Any application" settings, it appears to behave properly but as soon as I add VW 2017 with the "Add Application" menu, I immediately get the jump to top menu even though its a fresh clean start with default settings..  Very strange...    Does anybody know if there are some settings hidden away somewhere in VW that control some sort of auto view switch setting that I may have on?  I kind of remember reading about such a setting but can't find it anywhere.