Notify slider at bottom of post

Benson Shaw

Question

1.  Bottom of reply window has a slider to opt in/out for Notify me of replies. Does this generate email?

2. Unclear whether the default, left position of the slider triggers a notification. A checkbox would be better.

3. Can I switch off the email notifications in Settings? See attached.

4. I like the little bell icon in the browser indicating notifications, but I'm not really wanting the emails.

-B

Notify.png

NotificationSettings.png

5 answers to this question

The further settings happen below your second screenshot.
There you set eMail or just a Notification or both in your Notification Center.

Generally "grayed out" slider switch seems to mean it is OFF, when activated,
the slider button gets deep black.

If you prefer eMail Notifications for new Messages, like I do, important is :
"only send one eMail for content ...."
As it says, it will send only 1 eMail for the first new Post in a watched Thread and stops
doing so for following new posts until you visited that Thread.
Many Forums, including the old VW one, weren't able to do that. So they sent an extra eMail
for each new post and flood your mailbox with one single, very active Thread.

Your Red Questions 1-3

1. click again on it to make it black and active if you want notifications. leave it grayed if not.

2. Not necessarily eMails. First it is about Notifications in general, eMail OR just hints in Forum.

3. No. just if you set to receive Notifications, it lets you choose how often. You current setting
would be immediately after some new content was created.

Edited by zoomer
  • Like 1

@Benson Shaw

Go into your browser preferences and click on the notifications tab. You should be able to turn on / off whether you receive browser notifications from this forum there.

When you scroll down on the forum's notifications page  you show above, don't you have all these other options - (Maybe they get turned off if browser notifications are turned on. For me they appear below the Save button in your second screen image.)

Screen Shot 2016-09-11 at 9.33.39 AM.png

Kevin

Edited by Kevin McAllister
3 hours ago, zoomer said:

The further settings happen below your second screenshot.
There you set eMail or just a Notification or both in your Notification Center.

Generally "grayed out" slider switch seems to mean it is OFF, when activated,
the slider button gets deep black.

Thanks, Zoomer!  In Notification Settings window,  the entire lower section with the sliders for all the options was obscured.  I didn't realize I could scroll down! The Mac OS gray slider bar at edge of window should tell me, but it got lost in all the gray and black of the forum window.   Pilot error, as usual.

I wonder why today's minimalist graphic design is so intent on demoting color.  Color elements in this forum are extremely limited: member's avatars & post attachments, small blue dots indicating unread posts, the share platform icons, the red id dots/text for moderators, the green indicators in the Browser Notification page - not much else.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

A lot of colored elements that we intended to include have been overridden by the CSS we deployed. For instance, my posts are supposed to be yellow/goldish to denote an Admin and Best Answers are supposed to be tinted a light green. This is also why some of the text and buttons haven't appeared yet.

Web team is super hammered with tasks for... certain things that are happening soon. But I expect to be able to steal some of their time to get another pass over the discovered issues now that everyone has had a week to poke things and file problems.