Geometry Nodes and Circular Filling

I'm pleased you like it. 

Animation:

1. Run the modified marionette Script (Attached). It will create 100 layers. You can do more, to get a smoother run. 

2. Run the Script in the Script-Palette. It will export those 100 layers. 

3. I converted them with "Time Lapse Assembler" (Mac and Windows available) into an mp4

The export script was just for myself, so it is a little unhandy. A. E. you have to delete the layers after execution for the next run. It's great, but still incredible tinkered.

AnimationHack.vwx.zip

• Like 2
  • Marionette Maven

Your animation reminds me of a Python script I worked on last fall - but my script animates along a path.

I've been working on optimizing it for Marionette, but haven't had the time to complete it.

Here's a video of the output if you're interested. (Please ignore at the very beginning - I used the freehand tool to draw my path and didn't clean up the sharp turns...)

Also, please ignore how terrible the model is, it's a mockup of my apartment that I never finished. I promise, my television is not on the floor and I have more furniture/appliances than this...

• Like 1
  • Marionette Maven

A magician never reveals her secrets ;)

In all seriousness, I'll be more than happy to give you a run down of my tricks once I stomp out some of the work I've got going on here. I've been a little swamped with testing 2017 features/installers/etc., but I would imagine once we release I should have the reigns loosened up on me at least a little. (Not that they're incredibly tight to begin with - how do you think I learned Marionette AND Python in less than a year?!)

I'll keep in touch on this :) 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow...this is amazing work DomC!

I am just getting acquainted with Marionette, and am wondering if I can apply something similar to what you've done to the following problem:

I want to create a field of tightly packed circles, that grows in concentric rings, and is controlled by a bounding cirlce (or radius). The bounding circle functions through a series of fixed (seemingly random) radius lengths, each one representing the precise size when you can fit the next "ring" of circles within its boundary. In the following screen shots, n = number of total "rings" that constitute the overall field of packed circles. From one ring to the next, the field always grows in increments representing multiples of 6. I've shown examples up to the 20th ring, which happens to be the first ring where 18 new circles are added. At 20 rings out, the field contain 187 packed circles (counting circle "0" at the origin).

I'd love to turn this into a marionette tool, complete with a I.D. record for each circle so that an accompanying worksheet can be created. Do you think it's possible?

58b2828e18312_02n12015-01-18.png.8acb43f0ae09e69b549bea17af23c3fe.png

58b2829ec3cf1_03n22015-01-18.png.de8fa66049f630b1deea4df3bc7c6fc5.png

58b282b777c15_04n72015-01-18.png.f0a64eedf4159ceacc9872e3ce9f42b2.png

58b282c49173c_05n142015-01-18.png.b0a2c93154274c64a1076d45500ea29c.png

58b282e056f23_06n202015-01-18.png.5d5794abe4e8743d912ddca14fe46835.png

58b28993016c7_ScreenShot2015-01-18at8_51_17PM.png.cd8796796f9ebc9252f1593538c7cf01.png

58b28300278ab_01ParameterIndex2015-01-18.png.07a4db944f2d37bdafeae43a2d9de280.png

Thanks for any input!

Matt

• Like 1

Hi Matt

Thanks for interesting in this theme. I think you need another (more simple :-) script to make that regular circle stacking. 

Idea to solve that

1. We can think in hexagons to draw the circles

2. Create all radius of your point and sort them. from small to big

3. So you have your parameter n-circles (if ever needed)

4. Or checking distance from every circle to the center to have a radial- and not a hexagonal border

5. attach numbers and data to them

6. Labeling them

I try to give you a start ... The rest is routine peace of work :-)

Edit: New Version (Repeat instead of mix2 node)

58b898649687e_CircleStackingv3.png.e644f8c433a465a76f0408f52edcf606.png

circle stacking v3.vwx

Edited by DomC
  • Like 1

Hm. Drawing the stacked circles is just a grid :-) No hexagon needed.

OK, if order from a center and the colour pattern is part of the idea, there can be a reason to create circles in a specific algorithm.

Edited by DomC

This last one (v3) is quite beautiful DomC!

I agree, drawing the hexagon is not important here. However, the ordering of circles is very important. Each circle must be indexed and belong to a particular "ring" of growth, represented by a group of circles that are all equi-distant from the origin. It is therefore more than a hexagonal grid. In math, it technically would be called a "hexagonal lattice plane", (and so it contains an origin). In this case each point in the lattice is represented by a circle. 

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
On 8.9.2016 at 9:30 PM, Marissa Farrell said:

A magician never reveals her secrets ;)

In all seriousness, I'll be more than happy to give you a run down of my tricks once I stomp out some of the work I've got going on here. I've been a little swamped with testing 2017 features/installers/etc., but I would imagine once we release I should have the reigns loosened up on me at least a little. (Not that they're incredibly tight to begin with - how do you think I learned Marionette AND Python in less than a year?!)

I'll keep in touch on this :) 

I hope meanwhile you found time to finish your script.

I'm still curious about your solution.