Heliodon - Set Time & AM/PM via Buttons, Not Text

rDesign

Question

Currently we have to type in 'AM' or 'PM' in order to change the Heliodon time from AM to PM (for 12-hour time locations); We also have to type in a number to set the time.

I think it would be more user-friendly to have up/down buttons to set the time and AM/PM. An alternative to up/down buttons to set AM/PM would be a pull-down menu. 

Example from other BIM software package:

image.jpeg

Edited by rDesign

8 answers to this question

The AM/PM problem does not exist in my 24 h world.

But I also don't like, for ANY Heliodon/Daylight Systems I have access, to input numbers,
which I always do on my Num Block, when you need the ":" which forces you to use your
regular keyboard in between.
C4D has an analog clock where I want to pick the minutes pointer, but it works by moving
the mouse left or right (or up and down) and is kind of unintuitive and non precise.
Marking parts of numbers by cursor to overwrite is also a bit tedious.

I'm curious if someone finds the ultimate ergonomic way to set time and date in daylight systems.

Yes, the way you can pick date and time in e.g. Android applications with clickable/rotary calendars and clocks works quite well if it is also sensitive to the speed of the scroll wheel. I.e. when it scrolls fast you go fast through years/month/day or hour/minute and when the speed is slow it is more precise.

Even then I would still like to have the option to use keyboard text input, or have the pickers be responsive to typing numbers as well instead of scrolling/picking only.

Thanks Alan - I know that I could use 24hr time, but that's not really an acceptable response to poor UI design where each part of the time setting requires text input, not just the AM / PM part.

There is no reason why any user should be required to type a ":" for the time separator. As zoomer noted:

17 hours ago, zoomer said:

The AM/PM problem does not exist in my 24 h world.

But I also don't like, for ANY Heliodon/Daylight Systems I have access, to input numbers,
which I always do on my Num Block, when you need the ":" which forces you to use your
regular keyboard in between.
C4D has an analog clock where I want to pick the minutes pointer, but it works by moving
the mouse left or right (or up and down) and is kind of unintuitive and non precise.
Marking parts of numbers by cursor to overwrite is also a bit tedious.

I'm curious if someone finds the ultimate ergonomic way to set time and date in daylight systems.