Two things... Mechanical

Ok I have already just posted something similar in another post as a reply to it but a lot may not see or notice it so here goes. After having VW Mechanical for quite a while learning CAD on my own outside of the sheet metal shop that I work at, I have pondered two solid things that I feel will be of importance to both NNA and its users that own or work in sheet metal or machine shops.

The first is along the lines of an auto setup sheet that can be generated from a resulting cad file drawing for precision sheet metal bending fabrication. The setup sheet or spread sheet could collect data from all aspects of the drawing and place that info in specific places in the spread sheet like bend lengths material thickness angles dimentions "per bend step" (most shop owners are pretty hip to how what they are developing will bend up like and in what order. Bend deductions or bend allowances dirived from material thicknesses, radius (inside or outside), and angle and an area on the printed out put to fill in the actual machine numbers (dimentions) and step sequences for bending for following part runs.

The other thing that I am in a fog about since they do not use VW at my job so information is real thin... and I have not seen too many Mac shops yet either so that makes that worse... Cobalt... a CNC and 3D/2D Cad software so far is the closest that I have come to finding a solution for shop drawings/model translation for output to the shop production floor for CNC lathing or milling. Mastercam is a PC based application that they use where I work at in the machining div.; my question is this.... can Mechanical accomplish the same task to the shop floor that Mastercam does? If so then Paaalease.... point me in the right direction, I really would appreciate that a lot. If not, then when will VW add that type of metal shop tools to Mechanical so that, that type of translation can happen? I have tested with cooperation of one of the Engineers at my shop how well VW works criss-cross with AutoCad and a PC from my G4 at home and that all went down perfectly... nearly no difference at all and the same back to me... I in fact have newer capabilities regarding file format compatability than they do and they have AC 14 or better. Only a few things that NNA could add over time that will have a real impact on that productive buisness community overall. I really think that these two aspects should be a serious area they should cover and then they could really talk &^%$ to the other guys. [big Grin] What do you think Tom?

The sheet meatal bending attributes such as an auto calculated bend deduction or allowance would be something that would make drawing a layout a little more productive and efficient... if the setup sheet thing could happen then that would impact that entire industry that VW Mechanical touches... "I"... I developed a setup sheet for precision bending that was n't but did float around to other shops here in Denver and "it" had a serious impact on productivity and drop in scrap rates and run times. When you are ready to communicat on the topic Tom shoot me an e-mail... I have a lot of information that I can give you that will allow you to revolutionize Mechanical in that regards and make VW a hotter item than it already is.

Jerry

Jerry [Cool]