handrail from stairway tool

minotto

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

In 2017, the Railing/Fence tool is now completely separate. You can add a handrail easily to the side of a slab or along any kind of ramp or steps even if they were not made with the Stair tool. Since this functionality is so close to what was needed for most fencing, the tool is designed to handle both scenarios.

2 hours ago, JimW said:

Yes you can simply place it wherever you like. So for the moment, the most likely use will be disabling the Stair's railings entirely and constructing the ones you  want using the new tool.

In doing it this way, there would be no connection between the stair configuration and the handrail, correct? So if the design configuration of the stair changed, you would need to manually adjust the handrail to match the revised stair.

I think a separate video on using the new railing tool to create stair handrails would be very helpful. Would you draw it using the 3D Insertion mode so it would follow the stair slope?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
1 minute ago, rDesign said:

In doing it this way, there would be no connection between the stair configuration and the handrail, correct? So if the design configuration of the stair changed, you would need to manually adjust the handrail to match the revised stair.

I think a separate video on using the new railing tool to create stair handrails would be very helpful. Would you draw it using the 3D Insertion mode so it would follow the stair slope?

I'll be adding videos to the BIM Architectural guide series on doing this. Yes you will have to separate them from the stair but... once we FIX the stair issues I will worry more about them being linked again. The main focus was removing the Stairs railing deficiency while adding new functionality at the same time for other needs.