AEC>terrain>site model section

HEengineering

Question

14 answers to this question

Several comments:

1. Select the Site Model and run the command. A section is generated as if a continuous source poly were drawn along each leg of the Site Model crop, except last leg is left off.  eg if crop is a square, only 3 sides are included in the section. So if the mods of the site model are only in the interior and the perimeter is same in exist and proposed, then the exist and proposed section lines would look same.

2.  Generate a site model section by selecting a source poly. No need to select the site model.

3. The section graphic will have x dimension equal to length of the source poly. Edit: It scales horizontally eg if the source poly extends past the site model, the section graphic will be as long as the poly.  The stations will have designated separation, but there will be more of them. 

4. These are static sections.  A dynamic section, ie one that updates as the model is modified, can be made as a section viewport cut through a plan view viewport.  This will also show other objects on the section line.

5. Edit:  Sections made from source polys which lie entirely inside the Site Model crop do not rescale. The section graphic is same length as the source poly.

-B

Section.png

Edited by Benson Shaw
Clarity
  • Like 1

I was able to produce similar results.  I had some questions as to how you choose your section cut line?  The way I approached it was to use a polyline.  It seemed to me that I was only getting the proposed.  Even though the legend showed up for existing and proposed as your image does here.  One thing I noticed in your results is that the projection of the section matches the plan.  Mine often was much larger(yes on the same scale). This left me feeling as if I was not getting the correct results.  Let me give it another go and see what I can produce.

I have proposed and existing in the model.  There are new proposed contours on the roadway.  However the section only generates the proposed.  Even stranger is there is existing colored contour labels in the cut section behind the proposed txt, and the contour tags are no different?  Must be something simple Im over looking.                            

Screen Shot 2016-09-07 at 8.50.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-07 at 8.52.36 AM.png

I think the reason you don't see a difference between existing and proposed is that you don't have any site modifiers like cut and fill etc, if these are on your model you wil see the two different lines. Also maybe you need to increase the vertical scale in the Site model options.
I can't seem to find a draw line for section it seems to cut through the centre of the site model. If you rotate your site you get still get a section through the centre but cutting horizontal each time.
HTH

Edited by Alan Woodwell

So added another modifier which only sidetracked my efforts.  I have struggled with this separate issue in the in the past, but why does the model not show existing and proposed contours together in 2D?  I have applied the modifier to existing, and then trying to apply to proposed, and either way it never shows both proposed and existing on the same model.  

This doesn't even get into the fact that the section produced is no different regardless?

Screen Shot 2016-09-07 at 10.42.13 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-07 at 10.43.47 AM.png

Edited by HEengineering
typo

One more for good measure.  You can see the section looks no different even with a 10% slope on the pad site modifier.  I have in the past been able to get both existing and proposed contours to show.  But it always seems to be inconsistent and buggy.

You will notice that even tho existing and proposed are turned on in the site model, only existing is showing.  Not proposed.Screen Shot 2016-09-07 at 11.06.31 AM.png

It appears that the Plugin is not working properly because in the plugin .vsm file it states at the top "Create a profile or sectional views of the site. Draw or select a 2D polygon or polyline to define the section alignment" . Well at least I cant find a way to have the polygon define the section. Have created a polyline and moved it around, rotated etc and the section is always horizontal and the width of the section is way beyond the site.
If you slide the section over you can get it to align with the site and just have to ungroup and delete the rest of the section elements basically where it drops to zero.
HTH

Capture.JPG

Alan you may be right.  Im not convinced Its working correctly. I tried with various models with ranging success. Sometimes it worked sometimes it didn't.  Mine often did not line up like yours do.  I was never able to get the polygon to define the selection either.  However in a way isn't a "modifier" a polyline?  We use the site model tools alot here, really would like to push this feature as far as possible.  Im sure it can do more.

Works fine (its ok), Its a bit trick to get the polygon to work with the site. I found looking at site in 3D and being on same design layer, then draw a polygon that will be on bottom of the model, then select the line and go terrain create site section. If fails try a few time to get the line  in the right location.  Once you get the idea you can reproduce it easily.