File size converting VW2015 to 2016 becomes huge

Erik B

Question

Hi, when I convert VW2015 drawings to VW2016 the size increases up to 30 times! For instance the enclosed drawing is 2323 kB in VW2015 and becomes 61.235 kB in VW2016!

I have cleaned up the drawing and changed all IO's to Generic Volumes (just 7 pcs in this drawing). Any suggestions to reduce file sizes?

PlaGyp NHNL.jpg

7 answers to this question

Converting drawings from VW2015 to VW2016 can increase the file size with a factor 1.5 to 2 depending on content.
Did you perhaps have referenced files that got imported as well?

Did you use purge to clean the drawing, if yes did you also enable the remove duplicates option in case somehow the objects got duplicated?

In the past I've ran into an odd big file size increase when converting from VW2015 to VW2016 and could solve that by export to VW2014 from VW2015 and then import that file it into VW2016. But that file was a conversion from 2013>2014>2015 to start with, but for some reason it worked.

On ‎7‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 5:29 AM, NeilB said:

Erik, it looks like you might have included an image from the file but not the 2015 file itself. Might you be able to include the actual 2015 file?

And did you mean the size of the 2016 files becomes 61.235 MB rather than kb?

-Neil

Neil, enclosed the 2015 file and no, I meant kb not MB, I don't think my laptop would survive 61235 MB!

Nonius NHNL v2015.vwx

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I am not able to replicate this file size ballooning in 2016 or the 2017 beta. However, there is a unrendered viewport in this file, is it possible you rendered the viewport in 2016 and in the new file have File > Document Settings > Document Preferences > Display > Save Viewport Cache enabled? That will save the rendered bitmap of any included viewports that are up to date and could easily explain a larger file when compared to a version that doesn't have the viewport cache saved.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@Erik B, I'm not able to reproduce the issue either. I opened your 2015 file into 2016 and it only went from being 1.5MB to 1.6MB.

Also, did you mean that your file ballooned to 61,235 kB, as in sixty-one-thousand two hundred and thirty five? If so, in your original post it looks like the comma was replaced with a period, hence my previous question about that.

-Neil

@Eric BLike the others who tried I don't get the massive file size increase either, it stays at 1.4 to 1.5 MB and when changing some render options and the sheet layer viewport resolution to 300 dpi it would increase to 1.9 MB. That is far from the 61 MB you are getting.

My guess is that JimW is right about the rendered viewport cache save might be a factor , this in combination with render settings as I have noticed in VW2016 that seemingly  small changes in render settings and materials can have an enormous impact (i.e. increase) on render time and output file size compared to VW2015. Which may also affect your saved viewport render cache and subsequently the VW file size.

So far for me the file size increase for any VW2015 file to VW2016 has been an increase by a factor of 1.5 to 2 at the most. If this happens with more files it looks like you ran into a bug or there could be some corruption of the VW installation that adds bloat to the files but Jim would know better if the latter could a possibility.